This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Bulalo Beef Mami is a version of the popular beef noodle soup dish in the Philippines — called beef mami — although this makes use of beef shank instead of the regular beef chuck. This soup dish can make you feel cozy during the cold weather. It can be eaten anytime of the day and it also goes well when paired with siopao.
The difference of Bulalo Beef Mami with the regular beef mami is its rich flavor; the shank provides additional flavor while the marrow makes the dish taste richer. For better results, make sure to simmer the beef shank longer until the meat is very tender.
If in a hurry, using a pressure cooker can help you save time. I used dried egg noodles for this recipe. I find it more convenient to stock dried noodles in my pantry compared to having frozen fresh egg noodles in the freezer. It saves me a lot of freezer space and I can keep it longer. Although thin round noodles are usually consumed for mami, using flat noodles is not a big deal. Try to use ingredients that are more convenient for you.
Try this Bulalo Beef Mami Recipe. Let me know what you think.
- 1.5 lbs. beef shank
- 3 oz. mi trung dried egg noodles
- 1/2 cup carrots julienne
- 2 cups chopped savoy cabbage
- 3 pieces hard boiled eggs
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 4 pieces star anise
- 1 medium sized onion minced
- 4 cups beef broth
- 3 cups water
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp cooking oil
- Heat the cooking oil in a deep soup pot.
- Saute the garlic and onion.
- Put-in the beef shank. Cook each side for 1 minute.
- Pour-in beef broth and water. Bring to a boil.
- Add star anise. Simmer for 60 to 90 minutes or until the meat is tender.
- Remove the star anise.
- Add salt and pepper to taste. You can also add water if needed.
- Put-in the dried egg noodles, cabbage, and carrots. Cook for 3 minutes.
- Transfer to individual bowls. Serve with boiled egg.
- Share and enjoy!