How to Make a Hamburger
The hamburger is arguably the icon of American cuisine and is enjoyed in almost every part of the world. Simple, juicy and delicious, it can be assembled with a small number of ingredients. Although it’s easy to make, many cooks make mistakes that compromise the flavor of their hamburgers. Learn from these top tips how…
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
The hamburger is arguably the icon of American cuisine and is enjoyed in almost every part of the world. Simple, juicy and delicious, it can be assembled with a small number of ingredients. Although it’s easy to make, many cooks make mistakes that compromise the flavor of their hamburgers. Learn from these top tips how to make a hamburger that leaner and tastier.
Choosing Ingredients for Hamburger
Hamburgers surprisingly don’t have any ham. The heart of a traditional hamburger is the beef patty. The patty is made using ground beef and can either be made at home or bought from the store. Homemade beef patties generally taste better and offer more flavor than packaged varieties. Fresh ground beef makes the best hamburgers. If the meat is frozen, the best way to preserve its taste is to defrost it in the refrigerator for several hours or days.
How to Make a Hamburger Cooking Tips
A common mistake made when making hamburgers is adding too many seasonings and sauces. If you use too many condiments, the flavor of the beef might be lost. Instead, season the patty generously before grilling it and lightly drizzle your favorite sauce or top with caramelized onions. Toasted buns can add a crunch to your hamburger. All you have to do is slip them under a broiler and toasts them for 3-5 minutes.
Learning how to make a hamburger is a must for anyone who enjoys American cuisine. You can keep sauces to a minimum for weight and health management, and trade in regular buns for whole wheat. Serve with a salad or baked fries for a filling meal.
Did you make this? If you snap a photo, please be sure tag us on Instagram at @panlasangpinoy or hashtag #panlasangpinoy so we can see your creations!
How to Make a Hamburger
- 1 – 1 ¼ lbs. quality ground beef
- Salt and black pepper for seasoning
- Fresh hamburger buns
- Cheese slices optional
- If your ground beef is already defrosted, season the meat generously with salt and black pepper. Seasoning with kosher salt is recommended.
- Use your hands to separate the beef into ¾ - 1 inch thick patties. You can make them bigger but they will take longer to cook.
- Add a few droplets of water into a non-stick pan and add patties. Be careful not to overcrowd the patties. If they can’t fit all at once, cook in batches. Cook each side until brown. Use a meat thermometer to check the internal temperature. According to food safety organizations, patties should at least read 160F on the thermometer to be safe to eat.
- When patties are cooked to your liking, you can slap on a slice of cheese on each one. Let cheese melt for a minutes while the patties are still in the pan.
- Use a spatula to remove the beef patties from heat and serve on toasted buns with lettuce and tomato and onion slices. Enjoy.
Leave a Comment