This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Lengua Con Setas or Ox Tongue with mushroom is a delicious stew that everyone can enjoy. Ox tongue is a delicacy that should not be looked down by those who don’t like the idea. In fact, the tongue is one of the tastiest parts of the cow.
Making Lengua Con Setas takes time and patience. The recipe is not complicated, but the process of making the meat tender and removal of skin can be challenging to newbies. I am saying this not to discourage you, but rather to set expectations. I think that it is better to expect something challenging to happen and be prepared for it, rather than panic and lose interest.
Once the Ox tongue is tender and skin is peeled off, the remaining steps are like a walk in the park. All you will do is sauté, simmer, stir, and serve. Once you perfect this recipe, I’m sure that you can conquer recipes that are intended for non-beginners.
Try this Lengua Con Setas Recipe. Let me know what you think.
- 1 1/2 lbs. Ox tongue cleaned
- 2 cups chopped crimini mushroom
- 1 large yellow onion chopped
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 4 tablespoons Worcestershire Sauce
- 2 tablespoons oyster sauce
- 2 tablespoons light soy sauce
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/2 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
- 1 teaspoon granulated white sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch mixed with 2 tablespoons cold water
- 3 tablespoons cooking oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- Boil the Ox tongue in about 1 quart of water for 90 minutes or until tender (you can use a pressure cooker to quickly tenderize it).
- Let the tongue cool down, and then scrape out the skin.
- Slice the tongue into serving pieces.
- Heat oil in a cooking pot.
- Saute onion and garlic.
- When the onion becomes soft, put-in the Ox tongue. Cook for 3 minutes.
- Add oyster sauce, soy sauce, sugar, and Worcestershire sauce. Stir and then simmer for a minute.
- Add the mushrooms and Pour-in water. Let boil and then simmer until the liquid reduces.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Put-in the cornstarch and water mixture. Stir. Cook until the sauce thickens.
- Transfer to a serving plate. Sprinkle parsley flakes on top.
- Share and enjoy!