This Longevity Noodle recipe makes use of fresh noodles along with chicken and Shiitake mushroom. It is a perfect dish to prepare for Chinese New Year or any other occasion. It is full of flavor and easy to make.
Long noodles symbolize long life in cultures that celebrate the lunar New Year. May this new year give us hope, prosperity, and good health. Cheers to our success!
How to Cook Longevity Noodle with Chicken and Mushroom
The cooking process requires boiling the chicken breasts and fresh noodles before stir-frying. This is where the flavors are infused on the noodles.
Start by boiling water in a pot or wok. The chicken breasts are boiled first until it gets completely cooked and tender. This takes around 15 to 18 minutes. I add a piece of Knorr Chicken Cube in the middle of the process. This makes the broth really flavorful.
Add the fresh noodles after removing the chicken breasts from the wok. Cook for 8 minutes. The noodles will absorb the broth and all its flavors making it very tasty. Make sure to place the noodles in a colander after cooking and wash with running cold water. This stops the cooking process and prevents the noodles from sticking to each other.
This is the part where stir-frying starts. Heat oil in a wok. Stir-fry the sliced chicken quickly. Add scallions and mushroom. I am using dried Shiitake mushrooms for this recipe. It helps bring-in flavor to the dish.
Tip: Make sure to prepare the mushroom before cooking by soaking I hot water for 15 minutes. Slice the mushroom once it becomes soft. Soak longer if needed. Otherwise, it will be a challenge to slice it.
Add Shaoxing cooking wine. You may also use dry sherry as a substitute. This gives the dish a nice unique taste. The carrots and chives are added next. I’m using Chinese chive for this recipe. It has that nice mild garlicky flavor that blends well with the other ingredients.
Add Oyster sauce and ½ cup water. Stir and let boil. This is the point when we add the noodles. Simply toss to blend with the ingredients. Season with ground black pepper.
Seafood Pancit Canton is an equally good noodle dish that you can consider if fresh noodles are not available. Check the recipe here.
Try this Longevity Noodles with Chicken and Mushroom Recipe. Let me know what you think.
Longevity Noodles with Chicken and Mushroom
- 16 ounces fresh noodles
- 1 piece Knorr Chicken Cube
- 6 ounces boneless chicken breast
- 12 pieces dried Shiitake mushroom sliced
- ¾ cup Chinese chive chopped
- 1 piece carrot julienne
- ¼ cup scallions chopped
- 5 tablespoons oyster sauce
- 6 cups water
- ¼ cup Shaoxing cooking wine
- 3 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Boil water in a wok. Put the chicken. Boil for 8 minutes.
- Add Knorr Chicken Cube in boiling water. Stir. Continue to boil chicken for 7 to 10 minutes more. Remove the chicken and let it cool down. Slice into thin pieces. Set aside.
- Add fresh noodles in the boiling broth that was used to tenderize the chicken. Cook in medium heat for 8 minutes or until broth is consumed. Arrange noodle in a colander and quickly wash with cold water to prevent it from sticking with each other. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a wok. Stir-fry the boiled chicken breast for 1 minute once the oil gets hot.
- Add scallions and mushroom. Continue to stir-fry for 3 minutes.
- Pour cooking wine into the wok. Cook for 2 minutes while stirring.
- Add Chinese chives and carrots. Stir-fry for 2 minutes more.
- Add the oyster sauce and ½ cup water. Stir.
- Put the fresh noodles back into the wok. Toss.
- Season with ground black pepper. Toss until all ingredients are well distributed.
- Transfer to a serving plate. Serve.
Watch How to Cook Longevity Noodles with Chicken and Mushroom