Bread pudding is so popular that almost every country has its own version of the recipe. One of the best things about this dessert is that it can be made using leftovers. Bread pudding is an every-day dessert in many homes, but in many countries, it is served to mark holidays and special events. Follow this useful tutorial on how to make bread pudding to prepare the delicious dessert at home.
What is Bread Pudding made of?
The primary ingredient in the pudding is bread. Because there are so many recipes around the world, the type of bread is not specified. Many cooks prefer stale bread to make good use of it before it spoils. Some enjoy pudding made with white bread, and others brown. You can also try creating a recipe using Italian bread or baguettes.
The bread is baked first before a sweet concoction is poured over it. This is usually made with milk, sugar and eggs. It is advisable to also use sweet spices like cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves and vanilla extract. Bread pudding takes less than an hour to make and can be stored in the fridge for several days.
Choosing Your Bread Pudding Ingredients
Bread pudding is a bit calorie-heavy, which is why you should be careful when choosing your ingredients. You can make the pudding healthier by opting for low-fat or skim milk. To make it less sweet, you can reduce the sugar or use brown sugar instead of white. Some cooks use molasses and honey in the place of sugar.
How to Make Bread Pudding
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 6 slices of your choice of bread
- 2 cups milk whole, low-fat, skim
- ¾ cups sugar white
- 4 whole eggs preferably free-range
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon cloves ground
- Pre-heat your oven to 350F.
- Add butter to a pan and melt it over low heat. While butter melts, break the bread into smaller, bite-sized pieces.
- Arrange bread pieces on a baking pan in a single layer and pour the butter evenly over the bread. You can also add flavoring at this stage like chocolate chips or raisins.
- Combine milk, sugar, eggs, vanilla extract, cinnamon and cloves in a bowl. Mix thoroughly to combine ingredients. Pour this mixture over the bread and allow it to be partially absorbed.
- Bake the bread pudding for 30-45 minutes or until the top is springy. Serve.
How to Make Bread Pudding Cooking Tips
If you need to make bread pudding for an occasion, it’s a good idea to bake the pudding in an oven-proof dish. Improve presentation and taste by sprinkling raisins, chocolate chips or flakes, hundreds-and-thousands and other fun toppings for kids’ parties. If you’re hosting for adults, you can drizzle liquor sauces like rum and whiskey sauce. Caramel sauce is also a great addition and can give bread pudding a boost of flavor.