This is a recipe for Mini Banana Cake with Walnuts for Kids. The credit goes to my 4-year-old daughter, Danika. She did everything with a little help from her mom and some kitchen equipment. This is a fun way to bond with the little ones. It also helps them develop self confidence and learn new things.
Ideally, it will be more convenient if you have a stand mixer around because your kids can just easily drop the ingredients one-by-one while the mixer does the work. However, this can also be done manually using a wire whisk.
We used a rectangular baking cup so that it will resemble a small cake. You can also use regular cupcake or muffin cups and arrange it in a muffin pan just like how you do with banana muffins. Technically, these are banana muffins anyway 🙂
This can be served during snack time and it can also be eaten as a dessert; you might want to squeeze some whip cream on top. The kids will love it more.
Watch the Video on How to Make Mini Banana Cake with Walnuts for Kids
Mini Banana Cake with Walnuts for Kids
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 medium ripe bananas
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- a pinch of salt
- 6 tablespoons softened butter
- ½ cup granulated white sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ cup sour cream
- ¼ cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- In a mixing bowl, combine flour, baking soda, and salt. Stir using a wire whisk until well blended. Set aside.
- Combine softened butter, vanilla extract, and sour cream in another bowl. Start to cream the mixture; use a blended, if possible for better results. The beater blade of your stand mixer needs to be used in this process.
- Add the mashed bananas and walnuts while beating and then gradually add the flour mixture. Continue to beat until the texture becomes smooth.
- Scoop the mixture and arrange in small rectangular cups or cupcake cups. Put the rectangular cups over a baking tray. If using cupcake cups, use a muffin pan.
- Bake in the oven for 20 to 30 minutes or until it turns golden brown
- Remove from oven. Serve. You can also top with whip cream so that kids will like it more.