This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Nilasing na Tilapia refers to a fried tilapia dish wherein the fish is seasoned and marinated in wine and then fried until crispy and golden brown. It is served with spicy vinegar such as sinamak or pinakurat.
It is easy to prepare nilasing na tilapia. All you need to do is to season the fish with salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Make sure to rub the seasoning over the fish including the cavity or the open space in the center. Pour the cooking wine on the fish and let the bottom half soak in it for a few minutes. Fish tend to absorb the marinade quicker than red meats and chicken, so it should not take long marinate. Do not forget to turn the fish over to marinate the other side.
I like this version of fried tilapia because it is very tasty and has a nice crispy texture. It is easy to fry because the oil do not splatter. This is because the moisture is absorbed by the cornstarch and flour used to coat the fish. These ingredients also help make the fish crispy.
Try this Nilasing na Tilapia Recipe. Enjoy!
Watch the Video on How to Cook Nilasing na Tilapia
- 1 piece tilapia scales and innards removed
- 1 tablespoon coarse sea salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ cup cornstarch
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup cooking wine sherry or shaoxing
- 1 ½ cups cooking oil
- Season both sides of the tilapia with salt, ground black pepper, and garlic powder. Rub all over the fish including the cavity.
- Arrange a fish in a deep plate. Pour the cooking wine on the tilapia. Marinate each side for 15 minutes.
- Combine the cornstarch and flour in a resealable bag. Shake well. Put the marinated tilapia in the bag and shake until it is coated with flour and cornstarch mixture. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a pan. Once the oil gets hot, gently fry one side of the tilapia in medium heat until it turns golden brown and crisp. Turn the fish over to cook the opposite side.
- Remove the tilapia from the pan and put in a plate lined with paper towel.
- Serve. Share and enjoy!