Sinanglay na tilapia is a Filipino dish wherein fish, such as tilapia, is stuffed with onion, tomato, ginger, and garic, and then cooked in coconut milk.
This dish is somewhat similar to Ginataang Tilapia. However, certain ingredients and procedure varies.
The first few steps in preparing Sinanglay reminds me of how I prepare the fish when making Inihaw na Tilapia. I usually stuff the fish with onion and tomatoes before grillin. This is one of the factors that differentiate Sinanglay from Ginataan.
I was told by a Bicolano friend that they usually use lemongrass to tie the fish. According to him, the fish needs to be tied in order to secure the stuffing while cooking. Another benefit of using lemongrass is that it brings-in a nice aroma to the dish.
How to Cook Sinanglay na Tilapia
Preparation is essential when making this dish. Make sure to clean the fish well. This means removing the scales, innards, and gills. You may also want to cut the fins and trim the tail.
Stuff the fish with chopped tomato, onion, garlic, and ginger. These ingredient help provide flavor to the fish while reducing its fishy aftertaste.
Wrap the fish with bok choy leaves. Makes sure that the entire fish (except the head) is fully covered. You can use lemongrass leaves to secure the bok choy, or use a kitchen twine like what I did.
The cooking process is simple. Arrange the fish in a pan and then pour coconut milk and water. Sprinkle salt all over. Let the coconut milk boil. Add chili peppers and then cook the fish for 20 minutes.
This dish is best served with warm white rice and a dip of spicy fish sauce.
Try this Sinanglay na Tilapia recipe and let me know what you think.
Sinanglay na Tilapia Recipe
- In a bowl, combine garlic, onion, tomatoes, and ginger then mix.
- Stuff the tilapia with the garlic, onion, and ginger mixture.
- Wrap the bok choy around the tilapia. I use 2 bok choy leaves to ensure that the entire fish is wrapped.
- Secure the bok choy by tying a kitchen twine around the tilapia. (this step is optional)
- Arrange the wrapped tilapia in a wide cooking pan then pour-in coconut milk and water. Sprinkle salt, cover, and turn on heat.
- Cook the fish in medium heat for 20 minutes.
- Turn off heat. Remove the cooking twine and transfer the fish to a serving plate.
- Serve hot. Share and enjoy!
Watch How to Cook Sinanglay na Tilapia