Paella Mixta or Mixed Paella is another delicious Paella Variation that I enjoy eating. This recipe involves both seafood and meat. Other seafood paella versions that do not have meat are Paella Marinera, Paella de Mariscos, and Seafood Paella.
As for the seafood, we will use mussels, shrimp, and clams. The meat is composed of chicken, chorizo, and rabbit. You read it correctly; rabbit meat is an important ingredient in traditional Paella Mixta that is why I made sure to include it in this recipe.
Preparing Paella Mixta is almost similar to making Paella de Marisco, except for the additional step that requires the meat to be sautéed and simmered. This step is important because the meat needs to be somewhat tender before the other ingredients are added.
Again, I used Calasparra rice for this recipe. I think that this type of paella rice is one of the best to use for any Paella dish. Bomba rice is another type of rice that you should add to your list.
Try this Paella Mixta Recipe. Let me know what you think.
Paella Mixta Recipe
- 2 cups Calasparra rice
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 12 pieces clams cleaned
- 10 pieces mussels cleaned
- 1 1/2 cups juice from boiled clams and mussels
- 1/2 lb. large shrimp with heads and shell
- 1 lb. chicken bone-in, chopped
- 1/2 lb. rabbit meat chopped
- 6 oz. chorizo sliced
- 2 teaspoon Spanish Saffron threads
- 1/4 cup chopped flat leaf parsley
- 1 medium yellow onion diced
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 medium tomato chopped
- 3/4 cup frozen green peas
- 1 small red bell pepper seeded, grilled, and sliced into strips
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 1/2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil for the paste
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil for sautéing
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 lemon sliced into wedges
- Make the clam juice by boiling the mussels and clams in 1 1/2 cups water for 5 minutes. Separate the clams from the liquid. Set aside.
- Make the paste by combining the garlic, parsley, and paprika. Pound until the texture becomes smooth. Pour-in 1 1/2 teaspoons olive oil. Mix well and then set aside.
- Heat 1/4 cup olive oil in a paellera.
- Pan-fry the shrimp for about 1 minute per side. Remove the shrimp and then set aside.
- Sauté the onion and tomato until the texture becomes soft.
- Put-in the chicken, rabbit meat, and chorizo. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Pour-in the chicken broth and clam juice. Let boil. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes. Add water as necessary.
- Put-in the garlic paste mixture and the saffron. Stir. Add salt and pepper as needed.
- Put-in the Calasparra rice and green peas. Let the liquid re-boil and then lower the heat. Cook for 20 to 25 minutes covered.
- Arrange the mussels, clams, red bell pepper strips, and shrimp on top.
- Serve with lemon wedges.
- Share and enjoy!