This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Pork Asado or Asadong Baboy is a sweet pork dish that was introduced by the Chinese. Unlike Chicken Asado, which is its name counterpart, Pork Asado has contrasting ingredients and method of preparation.
This is one of the dishes wherein slabs of meat are preferred unsliced when cooked – just like the Lechon kawali. You can’t go wrong in preparing this tasty dish since the procedure is simple; all you need to do is marinade the meat in a mixture of spices and seasonings and boil it until tender. If you like easy to prepare oriental tasting dishes then this one is for you.
I began to like this dish when I came across it in a Chinese Fast Food Restaurant in Makati during my elementary days. The restaurant was located within Makati Cinema Square (it was a nice place back then) but I think that they moved to another location since the place is now crowded with DVD stalls and tiangge. It became a family habit to dine-in the restaurant every Saturday after my sisters scheduled voice training at the Ryan Cayabyab music studio in nearby Sunvar plaza (she is a competitive singer, too bad I didn’t have that talent; I can be a good host though 🙂 ).
If you’ll examine the ingredients closely, you’ll notice an ingredient called five spice powder. It is a powdered spice composed of star anise, cloves, cinnamon, Sichuan pepper, and ground fennel seeds. This is an important ingredient of this dish which gives it distinction over Humba and Pork Hamonado.
Got questions? Kindly post it in the comments section and I’ll do my best to get back to you soon.
Try this Pork Asado recipe and let me know what you think.
Watch the Video on How to Cook Pork Asado
- Combine soy sauce, five spice powder, garlic, cooking rice wine, and salt then mix well.
- Marinade the pork in the combined mixture for at least 1 hour.
- Heat a cooking pot then put-in the pork along with the marinade and water then let boil.
- Add brown sugar and stir to distribute evenly.
- Simmer for about 40 minutes flipping the meat after 20 minutes or so to tenderize the other side.
- Turn off the heat and remove the meat from the cooking pot.
- Allow the meat to rest for about 10 minutes then slice.
- Transfer to a serving plate and top with the thick sauce then serve.
- Share and enjoy!