Pork Monggo with Kangkong is a an easy-to-make version of ginisang monggo. It makes use of leftover lechon kawali and water spinach. This dish is delicious and easy to cook.
How to Cook Pork Monggo with Kangkong
This dish is simple to make. However, you will need to prepare the mung beans ahead of time. I did it by soaking 1 cup of mung beans in 3 cups water for 12 hours. This will step help soften the beans. Simply combine mung beans and water in a large bowl. Cover the bowl if you can. Let it sit in room temperature. Drain the water afterwards.
Start to cook by sautéing the aromatics. I add the onion first followed by the garlic. I also add a piece of ripe tomato. Make sure to dice the tomato before cooking.
I am using lechon kawali as the pork component. It just so happened that I still have some leftovers in the fridge. You can use raw pork for this recipe. Make sure to slice it thin though so that it cooks quicker. Saute the meat for 1 to 2 minutes before adding the soak beans.
Although the beans were softened by soaking, it still needs to boil for at least half an hour, or until it breaks apart. As a result, the soup will get thicker. Don’t forget to add more water as needed.
Add chicharon and kangkong. Cook for 2 minutes and then season with fish sauce and pepper.
This is best eaten with warm rice. It will even be better if you have this with fried fish.
Try this Pork Monggo with Kangkong Recipe. Happy cooking!
Pork Monggo with Kangkong Recipe
- Soak mung beans in 3 cups water overnight. Drain water.
- Heat oil in a cooking pot. Saute onion, garlic, and tomato. Once onion and tomato softens, add lechon kawali. Cook for 1 to 2 minutes. Note: if using raw pork, saute until it turns light brown.
- Add soaked mung beans and saute for 2 minute. Pour water. Let boil.
- Add Knorr Pork Cube. Stir. Cover and boil between low to medium heat until mung beans are soft (around 30 minutes). Add water if needed. Note: if using un-soaked mung beans, the boiling time will be longer.
- Add chicharon and kangkong. Cook for 2 minutes.
- Season with patis and ground white pepper.
- Transfer to a serving bowl. Serve and enjoy!