This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Pork Nilaga with Kalabasa is an easy Filipino Pork Soup. It is composed of pork shoulder, potato, Calabaza squash, cabbage, and green onions. It is simply delicious.
This dish is very memorable to me not only because it tasted really good, but also because it left a lasting memory. I am glad that we all had Pork Nilaga with Kalabasa for dinner, because it was the source of our physical strength and nourishment all through the night. A few hours after dinner, our place was hit by an EF1 tornado. Everyone is safe, but there were minor damages. We are very thankful to still be here to continue to do what we are doing – to bring you more delicious recipes everyday.
Going back to this awesome dish, my inspiration was pork nilaga and beef lauya. I thought that adding green onions to our yummy nilaga will make a difference, and it did. The kalabasa, on the other hand, made the dish taste better.
It will be great if you will use fatty cuts of pork such as the shoulder or belly. Lean pork also works, but it will not be as tender and moist like this. I enjoyed having this pork nilaga variation with spicy patis.
Try this Pork Nilaga with Kalabasa Recipe.
- 2 lbs. pork shoulder sliced into cubes
- 6 to 7 cups water
- 1 piece beef or pork cube or 1 teaspoon beef powder
- 1 small cabbage chopped
- 3/4 cup sliced green onions
- 1 large baking potato cubed
- 2 cups calabaza squash kalabasa, cubed
- 1 medium onion sliced
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce patis
- 1 tablespoon whole peppercorn
- Pour the water in a cooking pot. Bring to a boil.
- Add the onion and whole peppercorn. Cover and boil for 10 minutes.
- Add the pork. Stir, cover, and simmer for 45 to 60 minutes.
- Put-in the beef cube, calabaza squash and potato. Cook for 7 minutes.
- Add the cabbage and green onions. Continue to cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the fish sauce. Stir. Cook for 1 to 3 minutes more.
- Transfer to a serving bowl. Serve.
- Share and enjoy!