Pork Nilaga Recipe
Pork Nilaga is a type of Filipino pork soup in clear broth. I used pork belly in this version along with other ingredients such as potato, saba banana, and pechay (or baby bok choy). It is a perfect dish that you can enjoy during cold and rainy weather. In this nilaga version, I added Knorr…
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Pork Nilaga is a type of Filipino pork soup in clear broth. I used pork belly in this version along with other ingredients such as potato, saba banana, and pechay (or baby bok choy). It is a perfect dish that you can enjoy during cold and rainy weather. In this nilaga version, I added Knorr Pork Cube to provide more flavor to the dish. I suggest that you serve this hot with a small bowl or saucer of fish sauce (with chili pepper if you prefer it a bit spicy) on the side.
Pork Nilaga is one of those dishes that I tried to cook when I was starting out. My mom makes this almost regularly on a rainy day. I was able to observe how she does every step. It seemed effortless, so I thought of giving it a try.
I am my mom’s go to person when it comes to buying ingredients. She would ask me to buy ingredients for a certain dish that she plans to cook for a particular day. We lived in a subdivision where there are stalls of fruits, vegetables, and meat located near the entrance gate. This is a place where everyone in the neighborhood refer to as “kanto”.
I have been going back and forth “sa kanto” almost everyday to buy her ingredients, there came a time when she would just tell me the dish that she will make and I knew exactly what to get her.
One day, she asked me to buy ingredients for pork nilaga. Being the obedient son that I was, I complied instantly. When I got home, I told her to sit back and relax while I cook for her. She thought that I was joking at first, but she eventually let me do the cooking.
Now, it’s time for you to do the cooking. Try this Pork Nilaga Recipe. Let me know what you think.
Did you make this? If you snap a photo, please be sure tag us on Instagram at @panlasangpinoy or hashtag #panlasangpinoy so we can see your creations!
Pork Nilaga Recipe
- 2 lbs. pork belly cut into cubes
- 1 Knorr Pork Cube
- 3 to 4 small potato peeled and sliced in half
- 2 pieces ripe saba banana sliced
- 6 to 8 ounces pechay or bok choy
- 1 medium yellow onion sliced
- 6 to 7 cups water
- 1 tablespoon whole peppercorn
- 2 to 3 tablespoons fish sauce
- Pour water in a cooking pot. Let boil.
- Add onion and whole peppercorn. Continue to boil until the onion becomes tender.
- Put the pork belly into the cooking pot. Let the water re-boil.
- Add the pork cube. Stir. Cover the pot and continue to cook in low heat for 45 to 60 minutes or until the pork gets tender.
- Add potato and saba banana. Cook for 5 to 7 minutes.
- Add the fish sauce and pechay or bok choy. Stir. Cook for 3 to 5 minutes.
- Transfer to a serving bowl. Serve.
- Share and enjoy!
Watch the video on How to Cook Pork Nilaga
Leave a Comment