This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Cooking for the family is truly rewarding. It is a good way to show your love and care. However, there are times when it can be a challenge. Sometimes, ideas on what types of dishes to prepare might run out and there are instances wherein they are asking for something different from your usual menu. This is the reason why I am here with a new recipe: Saucy Pancit Canton.
I like to eat pancit. Hmmm, that might be an understatement. To be honest, I am a big fan of pancit. This is the reason why there are quite a number of pancit recipes featured in this blog. I try my best to show you how the different pancit dishes in the Philippines are prepared with the addition of variations or versions, such as this particular recipe.
Saucy Pancit Canton can be prepared during regular days. The term “saucy” refers to the extra sauce in this pancit version. It does not imply or connote a status (hindi po ito pang sosyal lang 🙂 ).
I cook saucy pancit canton regularly because it is quick and easy to make. I also like pancit with sauces because I can pour the sauce over rice (such as Yang chow fried rice) and eat it with lumpiang shanghai. It is like having a Lauriat service in your own home. It might sound ironic, but that is how it feels like, in my opinion. Yum yum!
How to Cook Saucy Pancit Canton
Start by having all the ingredients ready (see the list below). You will need a large work or a cooing pot. Saute garlic and onion and then brown the meats. We are using pork and chicken for this recipe. Feel free to use your preference. There are times when I only use one or the other. Sometimes, I only use shrimp or squid balls.
The vegetables are added in the beginning of the cooking process . You will need to add all the remaining veggies and continue to cook for a few minutes. The seasonings comes next. We are using soy sauce and oyster sauce for this recipe. If you do not like oyster sauce, soy sauce should be enough. There are also times when I add a bit of Sesame oil (this recipe did not require it, but you can add it if you want). A half teaspoon should be enough, do not add more than this amount because we want our pancit to have a balanced flavor.
The chicken broth comes-in next. Pour it and let boil. You can also use water and add a piece of chicken cube. I consider the chicken cube a necessity in my Kitchen.It helps me make good dishes be even more wonderful.
Once the broth starts to boil, put the flour sticks in the pot. It is also locally called pancit canton, which refers to the actual name of the dish. Let the noodles absorb the liquid until it gets soft. There should be enough liquid left. What you need to do is make the remaining liquid thicker by adding cornstarch that was diluted in water. Enjoy this dish with calamansi or lime.
Try this Saucy Pancit Canton Recipe. Let me know what you think.
- 8 ounces 227 grams flour stick (pancit canton)
- ½ small cabbage chopped
- 1 ½ cups snap peas
- 1 cup carrot julienne
- 1 small red bell pepper sliced into strips
- 3 ounces pork thinly sliced and chopped
- 4 ounces boneless chicken breast sliced thinly
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch diluted in 3 tablespoons water
- 1 medium yellow onion sliced
- 4 cloves garlic crushed
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons oyster sauce
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons cooking oil
- Heat oil in a wok or cooking pot
- Sauté garlic, onion, and then add ground black pepper. Cook until onion gets soft
- Put the pork and chicken slices into the wok. Stir fry for 3 to 4 minutes or until the meat browns
- Add cabbage, snap peas, bell pepper, and carrot. Stir fry for 4 minutes.
- Add soy sauce and oyster sauce. Stir.
- Pour chicken broth and let boil
- Add the flour sticks (pancit canton). Cover and cook for 2 minutes. Toss the noodles and make and let it absorb the broth. Continue to cook until all the noodles absorb the liquid.
- Pour cornstarch diluted in water. Stir and cook until the sauce gets thick.
- Serve with calamansi or lime.
- Share and enjoy!