Vegetarian Pancit Canton might look like the regular Pancit Canton. However, this recipe is quite different because it does not use any meat; instead, I used Shiitake mushroom.
Tips in Cooking Vegetarian Pancit
Preparing this Pancit Canton Variation is simple and faster. A few minutes are what we need because there is no meat to tenderize. The taste that the shiitake mushroom brings compliments the dish and makes it more enjoyable to eat.
You can start by stir-frying the vegetables. I chose this method because it is quicker and less tedious compared to blanching. Once the veggies are cooked, set it aside and wait until the noodles are cooked. Cooking the flour noodles should be very quick. Make sure that the Shiitake mushroom is cooked to a degree that the maximum flavors are extracted. Also, make sure that the liquid is not too much because this will make the noodles mushy.
I recommend this recipe to all the vegetarians out there, but you do not need to be one in order to enjoy this dish.
Try this Vegetarian Pancit Canton Recipe. Let me know your thoughts.
Vegetarian Pancit Canton
- 2 ounces Shiitake mushroom dried
- 8 ounces Pancit Canton
- 3 tablespoons vegetarian oyster sauce
- 4 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 piece onion sliced
- 4 cloves garlic crushed
- 2 stalks celery chopped
- 2 cups water
- 3 tablespoons parsley chopped
- 1 ½ cups cabbage shredded
- 1 piece carrot julienne
- 15 pieces snap peas
- 6 tablespoons cooking oil
- Ground black pepper to taste
- Combine dried mushrooms and warm water in a bowl. Soak until mushroom softens. Slice mushrooms. Save aside the water for later.
- Heat 3 tablespoons of cooking oil in a pot. Stir-fry snap peas, cabbage, and carrot for 1 ½ minutes. Remove and set aside.
- On the same pot, add remaining oil. Saute onion, garlic, and celery until onion softens.
- Add mushrooms. Saute for 2 minutes.
- Add oyster sauce and soy sauce. Pour water used to soak mushrooms. Let boil. Cover and cook in medium heat for 10 minutes.
- Add parsley. Stir.
- Add pancit canton. Cover and cook for 2 minutes. This will allow the noodles to absorb steam to make it softer.
- Toss the noodles. Cover the pot and continue to cook in low heat for 3 minutes.
- Add stir-fried vegetables. Toss.
- Season with ground black pepper. Toss and transfer to a serving plate.
Watch How to Cook Vegetarian Pancit Canton