Sausage Peppers and Onion Skillet is a simple dish that can be prepared using sausages such as bratwurst, Italian sausage, or kielbasa. Capsicum or bell peppers are added along with onion to complete the dish.
I used bratwurst with cheese for this recipe because I want a little hint of cheese in my meal, since I am eating it for breakfast. Red and green bell peppers make a good color combination. Adding yellow and orange bell peppers can be a good idea if you want your dish to be very colorful and festive looking. When it comes to the onion, I only use either yellow or white varieties.
This dish is very easy to prepare. I started out by melting the butter and adding some oil with it. I added the oil to increase the smoking point of butter so that I can cook it longer and in higher heat than the ordinary. The combination of butter and oil is used to pan-fry the sliced sausages. It makes the sausage taste nicer because it adds a bit of richness into it.
The vegetables are added next. It was cooked for around 3 minutes to get the flavor out and then I added some garlic powder and poured white wine into the skillet.The addition of wine is optional. You can still enjoy the dish without it. It will also work if you use chicken broth.
The dish was finished by seasoning with salt and pepper. I had it with toasted slices of baguette with garlic butter spread — or what we call as garlic bread.
Try this Sausage Peppers and Onion Skillet recipe. Let me know what you think.
Sausage Peppers and Onion Skillet
- 1 lb. cheese bratwurst sliced crosswise into thin pieces
- 1 medium green bell pepper sliced into strips
- 1 medium red bell pepper sliced into strips
- 1 medium yellow onion wedged
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1/2 cup white wine optional
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- Salt and ground black pepper to taste
- Melt butter in a skillet. Add oil.
- Pan fry both sides of the sliced bratwurst until fully cooked.
- Add peppers and onion. Cook for 3 minutes.
- Add garlic powder and white wine. Stir. Continue to cook until wine evaporates.
- Sprinkle salt and ground black pepper.
- Serve. Share and enjoy!