This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Shrimp and Chicken Pancit Canton is one of my favorite Filipino stir fried flour sticks version. I love the combination of pancit canton and shrimp, and the addition of shredded chicken elevates the dish to next level of yumminess. The variety of vegetables are just icing on the cake, so to speak.
I remember when I was a kid, my dad would take me around Manila to shop for tools. During every trip, he will bring me to this small restaurant, which he simply refers to as “restawran”. The place serves many different kinds of pancit, and other dishes, which are freshly prepared while you wait. He would point to the short-order sign on the wall and order pancit canton. I was not sure back then what “short order” means, but I learned, as I grew-up, that this refers to dishes that can be cooked quickly and served. This brings me to another reason why I like Shrimp and Chicken Pancit Canton, it is fast to cook and can even be quicker if all ingredients are prepped ahead of time.
The condiments that I use for my pancit canton is a mixture of soy sauce and calamansi, but sometimes I add a piece of crushed fresh siling labuyo. Lime or lemon are my alternatives these days, because fresh calamansi is not always available here in Chicago. I like how an already flavorful and delicious dish becomes even more interesting when the combination of soy sauce and calamansi is added. I would quickly work on my pancit the moment the soy sauce touches it, without paying attention if it is still hot, or cool enough to handle. I will then finish my meal with a bottle of ice cold soda.
Let’s talk about the components of this recipe. I used fresh shrimp (without shell) and shredded chicken, that I previously boiled. While fresh shrimp is nice to have, you can also use frozen shrimp, or pre-cooked frozen shrimp. For the chicken, I combined pieces of chicken thigh with 4 cups of water and boiled it for 18 minutes. The boiled chicken needs to be cooled down before the meat can be shredded. I also used a piece of Chinese sausage, which I chopped into small pieces, to provide additional flavor to the pancit.
The recipe below and the video should be able to help assist you in preparing this dish. If you have questions, suggestions, or feedback, please use the comment section below to send it over. Enjoy!
Try this Shrimp and Chicken Pancit Canton Recipe. Let me know what you think.
- 8 ounces 227 grams pancit canton (flour noodles)
- 1 Knorr shrimp cube
- ½ head small cabbage sliced into small pieces
- 10 to 12 pieces medium shrimp shell and head removed
- 4 ounces chicken boiled and shredded
- 12 to 15 pieces snow peas
- 1 Chinese sausage chopped
- 1 medium carrot julienne
- ¼ cup chopped parsley
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- 1 medium yellow onion sliced
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 ½ to 2 cups water or beef broth
- 3 tablespoons cooking oil
- Heat oil in a cooking pot.
- Once the oil gets hot, pan-fry the shrimp for 40 seconds per side. Remove from the pot. Set aside.
- Using the remaining oil (you can add more oil if needed), sauté garlic and onion.
- Add the Chinese sausage and shredded chicken. Saute for 2 minutes.
- Pour the soy sauce into the pot along with the beef broth. Stir. Let boil. Cover and continue to cook in medium heat for 5 minutes.
- Add parsley, snow peas, carrot, and cabbage. Cover and cook for 8 minutes.
- Put the ground black pepper into the pot. Stir.
- Add the pancit canton (flour noodles). Cover and cook until the noodles starts to get softer. Note: there is no need to stir the noodles after adding. Covering the pot traps the steam, which the noodles absorb. This makes it softer, eventually.
- Gently toss noodles. Add pan-fried shrimp. Cover the pot and continue to cook in medium heat for 3 minutes.
- Transfer to a serving plate. Serve with lime or calamansi.
- Share and enjoy!
Watch the Video on How to Cook Shrimp and Chicken Pancit Canton