Easy Pork Hamonado is a dish made of pork, pineapple, and sugar. By looking at is major ingredients, you will know right away that this dish is has a sweet and sour flavor into it. Warm white rice is the best thing to eat this with.
I made this dish using fresh pineapple slices. I got a nice sweet pineapple from the grocery and this dish was one of the ideas that popped into my head. Fresh ripe pineapple is recommended, but it is not necessary to have; canned pineapple chunks is a good alternative ingredient for the fresh ones.
The beef broth that I used was store bough. You can also use a cup of water and add half a beef cube as a substitute for beef broth. As I’ve mentioned in the video below, you may use white sugar or brown sugar for this recipe –whatever is available between the two.
How to cook Pork Hamonado
Cooking pork hamonado at home is a simple task. All you need to do is prepare all the necessary ingredients (see the recipe below). Start by sautéing the onion and garlic. Add the pork and cook until brown. You will need to also add the pineapple at this time and saute it with the pork for a few minutes. Add soy sauce and beef broth and then wait for the mixture to boil. Cover the cooking pot and simmer until the pork gets tender.
The last few steps are the easiest. Simply add sugar, salt, and pepper and then let it cook for a few more minutes. Adjust the salt and pepper based on your preference.
Pork shoulders are the best part to use for this dish since it contains fat which keeps the meat moist. This should not discourage you to use lean pork cuts if preferred. Pork chop can also be used, but I prefer it to be simply baked with bbq sauce.
Try this Easy Pork Hamonado Recipe. Let me know what you think.
Easy Pork Hamonado
- 1 lb. pork shoulder sliced into cubes
- 1 1/2 cups pineapple cubed
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1 medium yellow onion chopped
- 5 cloves garlic minced
- 3 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1/4 cup granulated white sugar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat the cooking oil in a pan.
- Once the oil gets hot, saute the garlic and onion.
- Add the pork and cook until the color turns light to medium brown.
- Add the pineapple. Stir and cook for 3 minutes.
- Pour-in the soy sauce. Stir. Add the beef broth. Let boil. Simmer for 45 to 50 minutes. Add water if needed.
- Stir-in the sugar and add salt and pepper. Cook for 3 to 5 minutes more.
- Transfer to a serving plate.
- Serve. Share and enjoy!