Ube Halaya is a type of Filipino Dessert made from purple yam. There are quite a few ways of preparing this dish. Some Ube halaya version makes use of condensed milk to cook the yam with, while others depend on coconut milk. This version only uses 3 major ingredients: purple yam, coconut milk, and sugar. Although it sounds really simple to prepare (which is true), the outcome is something that you should look forward to.
Ube Halaya can be eaten as it is for dessert. It is sweet and has a thick sticky texture. It is also one of the ingredients of a favorite Filipino Summer Dessert called Halo-halo. I enjoy ube halaya either by itself, with halo-halo (its perfect during warm weather), and sometime I eat it as a spread. I top it on saltine crackers and snack on it. How about you, how do you eat your ube halaya?
If you will refer to the recipe below, you’ll notice how easy it is to make your own Ube Halaya dish. However, I need to advise you to be a little patient when it comes to stirring the mixture until it gets thick. It took around 25 minutes to get the texture that I wanted. This means that I have to stir every minute to prevent the mixture from sticking on the bottom of the pot.
I just remembered how I liked this with cold leche flan. I eat this by combining both the halaya and leche flan in a spoon (and it is really a spoon full) and munch on it. It’s really yummy!!!
Try this Simple Ube Halaya Recipe. Let me know what you think
Simple Ube Halaya Recipe
- 1 lb. grated purple yam
- 2 cups coconut milk
- 3/4 cup granulated white sugar
- 1 teaspoon cooking oil
- Pour the coconut milk in a cooking pot. Bring to a boil.
- Once the coconut milk start to boil, add the sugar. Stir until the sugar dilutes completely.
- Put-in the grated purple yam. Continue to cook while stirring (using low to medium heat) until the texture gets thick. Note: It will take around 20 to 30 minutes. Please be patient.
- Grease the llanera with cooking oil. Transfer the ube halaya to the greased llanera to mold it into shape.
- Let it cool down to room temperature. You can serve it immediately of place it in the refrigerator (covered with cling sap).
- Share and enjoy!