Sinabawang Isda at Gulay is a simple dish composed of mahi-mahi fillets and fresh sweet potato tops (known as talbos ng kamote in Filipino). The name of the dish is translated as fish and vegetable soup. Vegetables such as onion, ginger , and tomato are boiled along with the fish. The sweet potato tops are added towards the end.
This dish is intended for people who loves fish and veggies. It is perfect for health conscious individuals as long as you do not eat rice with eat or at least control your carbohydrate intake.
I know that I just mentioned that this is healthy as long as you eat it as it is. Sometimes, I tend to deviate by adding bagoong isda with calamansi or at least dipping the fish into it. As a result, I eat a cup of rice or more than I should — which is not so good. However, I am always enjoying this dish no matter how simple it may seem.
Try this simple Sinabawang Isda at Gulay Recipe. Send us your feedback.
Sinabawang Isda at Gulay
- 2 3 oz. mahi mahi fillets
- 3 to 4 cups fresh kamote tops
- 1 knob ginger sliced into thin pieces
- 2 medium tomatoes sliced
- 1 medium red onion sliced
- 2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- Pour water in a cooking pan.Let boil.
- Add the tomatoes, ginger, and onion. Cover and boil for 5 to 8 minutes.
- Add the fresh mahi-mahi. Cover and cook for 8 to 10 minutes in medium heat.
- Stir-in the salt and add the kamote tops. Cover and cook for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Transfer to a serving bowl. Serve with warm white rice.
- Share and enjoy!