I personally think that most ginataan main dishes are delicious. I even like it better when there is at least a bit of heat added into it. This Spicy Ginataang Hipon is a good example. Shrimp cooked in coconut milk is undeniably yummy, but it gets better when chili peppers are added.
There were two kinds of chili peppers used for this ginataang hipon recipe: long green chili or finger chili and Thai chili (bird’s eye chili can also be used). The long green chili is mildly spicy, while Thai chili is really spicy. This dish will even get spicier if bird’s eye chili (or siling labuyo) is used. If you love spicy food, you may add as many as you please. However, if you prefer your dish to be mildly spicy, I suggest that you use a few pieces of long green pepper only.
I enjoyed eating this dish a lot. The shrimp was cooked just right and the sauce was very flavorful and spicy. My rice intake is my only concern when eating yummy and spicy dishes such as this one. I tend to unconsciously eat more rice than the usual; it’s like I am in a trance while enjoying the moment – sounds like a good excuse, don’t you think?
Happy cooking and enjoy your dish.
Try this Spicy Ginataang Hipon Recipe. Let me know what you think.
Spicy Ginataang Hipon Recipe
- 1 ½ lb. medium shrimp with head and shells on
- 1 pack Knorr Ginataang Gulay mix
- 3 pieces long green pepper siling pansigang, sliced into thin pieces
- 2 to 5 pieces bird’s eye chili siling labuyo, chopped
- 2 thumbs ginger minced
- 1 medium onion sliced
- ½ cup chopped scallions
- 4 cloves garlic crushed
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ¾ cup lukewarm water
- Fish sauce patis to taste (optional)
- 3 tablespoons cooking oil
- Prepare the gata by combining lukewarm water and Knorr Ginataang Gulay mix. Stir and set aside.
- Heat oil in a pot
- Sauté garlic, onion, and ginger
- Once the onion starts to get soft, add the green pepper, scallions, and chili. Stir and continue to cook for 1 minute.
- Pour the gata mixture into the pot. Let boil.
- Add the shrimp. Continue to cook while stirring once in a while for 5 minutes.
- Add ground black pepper and fish sauce. Stir and then cook for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Transfer to a serving bowl. Serve with rice.
- Share and enjoy!