Pork Hamonado is simply pork sweetened in pineapple sauce. You can typically find sweetness in some Filipino dishes and this is just one of them. This dish is usually served during the Christmas season along with other sumptuous dishes that I plan to feature soon. Some of you might be thinking if sugar can really go well with meat just like with this Pork Hamonado Recipe.
The thing that I liked most about this Pork Hamonado Recipe is its simplicity. Imagine cooking a great tasting dish in only 3 steps: marinating, pan-frying, and simmering. This dish can easily be prepared even by novice cooks. Another thing that interests me was the taste. I really liked the balance of flavor. I thought that it was magnificent.
I invite you to try and see this Pork Hamonado Recipe for yourself. Please be the judge and let me know what you think.
Pork Hamonado Recipe
- 2 lbs pork butt or loin (about 1 kilo)
- 2 cups pineapple juice
- 2 cups pineapple chunks
- 3 tbsp soy sauce
- 5 tbsp brown sugar
- 3 tbsp. cooking oil
- Mix the pineapple juice, sugar, and soy sauce in a large bowl
- Marinate pork with the pineapple juice, sugar, and soy sauce mixture for about 1 to 3 hours
- Remove the pork from the marinade and set the remaining mixture aside
- Heat the oil in a pan and fry the marinated pork until the meat turns light brown (approximately 3 to 5 minutes)
- Pour in the remaining marinade mixture together with the pineapple chunks and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes
- Add salt and pepper to taste
- Serve Hot. Enjoy!
Number of servings (yield): 6