Pork Hamonado is simply pork sweetened in pineapple sauce. You can typically find sweetness in some Filipino dishes and this is just one of them. This dish is usually served during the Christmas season along with other sumptuous dishes that I plan to feature soon. Some of you might be thinking if sugar can really go well with meat just like with this Pork Hamonado Recipe.
The thing that I liked most about this Pork Hamonado Recipe is its simplicity. Imagine cooking a great tasting dish in only 3 steps: marinating, pan-frying, and simmering. This dish can easily be prepared even by novice cooks. Another thing that interests me was the taste. I really liked the balance of flavor. I thought that it was magnificent.
How to Cook Pork Hamonado
This recipe suggests the meat to be marinated in pineapple juice, sugar, and soy sauce for a while before cooking. Grab a bowl and combine the pineapple juice, soy sauce, and sugar. Mix well and then add the pork. cover the bowl and let it stay. You may want to place it in the fridge to be safe.
Next is to heat a pan and add cooking oil. Separate the marinated pork with the marinade (but keep the marinade for later use) and start to saute the pork until brown. You can also cook the pork with chopped yellow onion if desired. If you do this, make sure to first saute the onion and add the pork only when the onion turns soft. Now it is time to pour-in the marinade along with some beef broth. Let is boil and then cover the cooking pot and simmer until the pork is tender. Lastly, add salt and pepper according to your preference. The best way to eat this is by having it with warm white rice.
I invite you to try and see this Pork Hamonado Recipe for yourself. Please be the judge and let me know what you think.
You may also want to try our simple pork hamonado recipe.
Pork Hamonado Recipe
- 2 lbs pork butt or loin about 1 kilo
- 2 cups pineapple juice
- 2 cups pineapple chunks
- 3 tbsp soy sauce
- 5 tbsp brown sugar
- 3 tbsp. cooking oil
- 1 cup beef broth
- Mix the pineapple juice, sugar, and soy sauce in a large bowl
- Marinate pork with the pineapple juice, sugar, and soy sauce mixture for about 1 to 3 hours
- Remove the pork from the marinade and set the remaining mixture aside
- Heat the oil in a pan and fry the marinated pork until the meat turns light brown (approximately 3 to 5 minutes)
- Pour in the remaining marinade mixture together with the pineapple chunks and beef broth and simmer for 45 to 60 minutes
- Add salt and pepper to taste
- Serve Hot. Enjoy!