Grilled Isaw or Inihaw na Bituka ng Baboy is pig’s large intestine boiled until tender then grilled. This is probably the most sought and most popular street food in the Philippines.
This food goes well with beer or liquor and has earned the reputation of being the best affordable pulutan (appetizer).
Try this Grilled Isaw Recipe.
- 1 lb pig's large intestine (well cleaned)
- ½ cup vinegar
- 2 tbsp whole pepper corn
- 2 tbsp salt
- 4 to 6 pieces dried bay leaves
- 4 cups water
- Pour the water in a cooking pot and bring to a boil.
- Put-in the salt, whole pepper corn, and dried bay leaves
- Add the large intestines then simmer for a few minutes
- Add vinegar then simmer until the intestines are tender (about 30 minutes). Set aside until the temperature goes down.
- Cut the intestines crosswise (about 1 inch in length)
- Skewer the intestine (about 3 to 4 pieces per skewer)
- Grill the intestine while basting with the mixture of cooking oil, banana catsup, and soy sauce
- Serve with vinegar and chili dip