Espasol is a type of rice cake that is made of rice flour cooked in coconut milk. This cyclindricaly shaped treat originated from the Province of Laguna and is visible in almost all bus stops and “pasalubong” stores.
Like the other famous rice-puddings (or kakanin), there are various ways in making Espasol. I’ll be showing you one of the simple ways on how to make this fabulous dessert. Say adiue to your cravings and start making your own delicous Espasol.
Try this Espasol recipe and let me know what you think.
- 3 cups glutinous rice flour, toasted
- 1/2 cup sweet rice flour, toasted
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 cups coconut milk
- 1 1/2 cups grated coconut, toasted
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
Watch the cooking video:
- In a cooking pot, pour-in the coconut milk and bring to a boil.
- Add the sugar and stir continously for 10 minutes.
- Put-in the toasted grated coconut and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the vanilla essence and toasted rice flour and cook for 40 minutes to 1 hour or until the mixture becomes really thick while folding.
- Remove the mixture from the pot and allow to cool down.
- Dust the toasted sweet rice flour in a flat surface.
- Divide the mixture into parts and roll over the dusted sweet rice flour until a cylindrical shape is formed.
- Slice according to your preference.
- Put in a serving plate or wrap in paper or banana leaf. Share and enjoy!
How to toast the rice flour
- Place a pan large enough to accomadate the rice flour on top of a stove and apply low heat.
- Put the rice flour in the pan and allow to toast while continously mixing until the color turns light brown.
- Remove the toasted rice flour from the pan and transfer to a bowl or large container
How to toast the grated coconut
- Place a pan on top of a stove and apply low heat.
- Put the grated coconut in the pan and allow to toast while continously mixing until the color turns light brown.
- Remove the toasted grated coconut from the pan and transfer to a bowl