Fruit Salad is a general term referring to a fruit dish. This dish is typically composed of an assortment of fruits served as is or combined with different types of sweet liquid and table cream. This can either be served as an appetizer, a side dish, and as a dessert.In the Philippines, fruit salad is considered to be more of a dessert rather than an appetizer or side dish. The Filipino version of the fruit salad requires the use of condensed milk and table cream which makes the dish rich and sweet.
The typical Filipino fruit salad is composed of canned fruit cocktail combined with condensed milk and table cream. However, there are also some versions wherein buko or young coconut is added (this should not be mistaken as the buko salad wherein young coconut is exclusively used).
This Fruit Salad Recipe makes use of the typical Filipino fruit salad ingredients with the addition of other fruits that are in season. Besides the canned fruit cocktail, nata de coco, fresh strawberries, fresh blueberries, and kiwi were also added.
I’m pretty sure that you have your own fruit salad version. How do you make your fruit salad? What are the fruits that you regularly use? Your opinion matters; hope to hear from you.
- 1 can (large) fruit cocktail
- 1 cup fresh strawberries, cleaned and cut in half lengthwise
- 1 cup blueberries, cleaned
- 3 pieces kiwi, cleaned and sliced into bite size pieces
- ¾ cups nata de coco
- 14 ounces condensed milk
- 8 ounces table / medium cream or all purpose cream
- Drain the juice from the fruit cocktail and transfer the canned fruits in a bowl.
- Combine the fruit cocktail, strawberries, blueberries, kiwi, and nata de coco then toss lightly.
- Add the condensed milk then mix lightly. Be extra careful so that the fruits will remain intact.
- Add the table cream / medium cream then mix again. Make sure that the cream is properly distributed amongst the fruits.
- Refrigerate for at least 3 hours.
- Serve Chilled. Share and Enjoy!
Watch the video: