Caesar Salad is a famous salad believed to be invented by a restaurateur named Cesar Cardini. This salad uses romaine lettuce tossed topped with garlic croutons, parmesan cheese, and a mixture of olive oil, raw egg yolks, and garlic.
The use of raw eggs has become an issue because of possible salmonella contamination. Coddling the eggs is a good way to ensure that the eggs are safe. This is done by pouring hot water on the egg yolks and letting it sit for a minute. Additional water (room temperature) is added afterwards to neutralize the heat before draining.
I have included salads and other healthy food in my diet so that I can lose weight faster (of course, regular exercise is a must) in preparation for our upcoming trip to the Philippines. I gained some pounds lately with all the good food that we are cooking; I think that it is time for me to get back in shape (goodluck to me ). Don’t worry; this will not affect our posts here at Panlasang Pinoy. We will still continue cooking and featuring awesome Filipino foods for the benefit of everyone.
8 leaves romaine lettuce, cleaned and separated
1/2 cup parmesan cheese, shredded or grated
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce (optional)
Egg yolks from 2 pieces raw eggs
A dash of ground black pepper
A dash of salt
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
1 teaspoon garlic, minced
1 ½ cup croutons
1/4 cup lemon juice
1. Combine garlic and olive oil in a large mixing bowl then whisk. Allow to sit for 15 minutes for the garlic juices to mix well with the oil.
2. Put-in the egg yolks and then whisk until properly distributed.
3. Add-in the salt, pepper, Worcestershire sauce, and lemon juice then mix well.
4. Put-in half of the parmesan cheese then whisk until the texture become smooth.
5. Tear the lettuce leaves into bite-size pieces then place them in the large bowl with the rest of the mixture.
6. Toss the leaves to evenly distribute the mixture.
7. Add the croutons and the remaining parmesan cheese then toss once more.
8. Transfer to a salad plate then pour-in your favorite salad dressing on top.
9. Serve right away. Share and enjoy!