Here is another addition to our healthy salad recipes: Asparagus Salad. This is a quick and easy salad recipe that needs minimal cooking. Fresh asparagus is blanched then balsamic vinaigrette composed of balsamic vinegar, olive oil, salt, pepper, and garlic is poured over it.
Blanching the asparagus means boiling it for a few minutes and immersing it in cold water afterwards. This technique cooks the asparagus (or any vegetable for that matter) while maintaining the texture and color. The balsamic vinaigrette on the other hand serves as a salad dressing.
I like this recipe because of its ease and simplicity; I also love the flavor produced by the combination. As for the texture – it is perfect. You can literally hear the crunch in every bite.
Why don’t you give this a try and let me know what you think.
- 1 bundle fresh asparagus cleaned and edges chopped
- 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon garlic minced
- A pinch of Salt
- A pinch of ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil EVOO
- 3 cups water for boiling
- 3 cups cold water
- Ice cubes
- Heat a cooking pot and pour-in water. Bring to a boil
- Put-in asparagus and cook for 3 minutes
- Combine cold water and ice cubes in a large bowl then remove the asparagus from the cooking pot and directly immerse in cold water with ice.
- Drain excess water from the asparagus and place it in a serving plate.
- Create vinaigrette by combining balsamic vinegar, garlic, olive oil, salt, and pepper and mixing it thoroughly (this will serve as the dressing).
- Pour vinaigrette over the blanched asparagus.
- Serve. Share and enjoy!