Caesar Salad is a famous salad believed to be invented by a restaurateur named Cesar Cardini. This salad uses romaine lettuce tossed topped with garlic croutons, parmesan cheese, and a mixture of olive oil, raw egg yolks, and garlic.
The use of raw eggs has become an issue because of possible salmonella contamination. Coddling the eggs is a good way to ensure that the eggs are safe. This is done by pouring hot water on the egg yolks and letting it sit for a minute. Additional water (room temperature) is added afterwards to neutralize the heat before draining.
I have included salads and other healthy food in my diet so that I can lose weight faster (of course, regular exercise is a must) in preparation for our upcoming trip to the Philippines. I gained some pounds lately with all the good food that we are cooking; I think that it is time for me to get back in shape (goodluck to me ). Don’t worry; this will not affect our posts here at Panlasang Pinoy. We will still continue cooking and featuring awesome Filipino foods for the benefit of everyone.
- 8 leaves romaine lettuce cleaned and separated
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese shredded or grated
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce optional
- Egg yolks from 2 pieces raw eggs
- A dash of ground black pepper
- A dash of salt
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil EVOO
- 1 teaspoon garlic minced
- 1 ½ cup croutons
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- Combine garlic and olive oil in a large mixing bowl then whisk. Allow to sit for 15 minutes for the garlic juices to mix well with the oil.
- Put-in the egg yolks and then whisk until properly distributed.
- Add-in the salt, pepper, Worcestershire sauce, and lemon juice then mix well.
- Put-in half of the parmesan cheese then whisk until the texture become smooth.
- Tear the lettuce leaves into bite-size pieces then place them in the large bowl with the rest of the mixture.
- Toss the leaves to evenly distribute the mixture.
- Add the croutons and the remaining parmesan cheese then toss once more.
- Transfer to a salad plate then pour-in your favorite salad dressing on top.
- Serve right away. Share and enjoy!