This is an easy and quick Cucumber Salad recipe that makes use of fresh cucumber and a few common ingredients that are readily available in your pantry. This healthy recipe is very easy to follow and won’t take much of your time. This dish is also known as Pipino Salad in the Philippines.
I find Cucumber Salad convenient when there is more than one main course served. It refreshes my palate after every dish making my dining experience more exciting. I also like having this as a side for fried foods (it’s like having atchara around) because it gives life to fried food and also boosts my appetite.
You might remember this salad as something that is sliced thickly and peeled. I too grew up eating this salad prepared in the traditional way and I enjoyed it. After doing a lot of experiment, I found that slicing the cucumber as thin as possible lets the vegetable absorb the vinegar and other ingredients making the taste more lively and superb.
How do you like your Cucumber Salad?
- Serves: 3
- Serving size: 3
- 2 medium sized cucumbers
- 1 teaspoon salt
- A dash of ground black pepper
- 1 small red onion, sliced (optional)
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon ginger, minced
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar (or white vinegar)
- Wash the cucumber and pat dry.
- Thinly slice the cucumber crosswise. I prefer to use a vegetable peeler for this step so that I can get the thinnest slice possible. You may also use a knife if you prefer thicker slices. I did not peel the skin off but you may do so if preferred.
- Combine salt, ground black pepper, sugar, ginger, and vinegar then mix well. (You may also include the cucumber right away then mix everything together as shown in the photo)
- Put-in the sliced cucumber and onion. Refrigerate for 2 hours.
- Serve. Share and Enjoy.