Egg Pie is a sweet Filipino dessert that resembles an egg custard. Though famous in the Philippines and can be seen even in local bakeries, this delicious dessert has not made its own identity yet and is often confused as a giant egg custard or something else. Well, now is the right time to show-off some of our country’s sweet indulgence.
When I think of egg pie, I remember a slice of pie that I buy in our local bakery that amounts to something like P3.50 (7 cents) a piece – but that was a long time ago; I’m not sure how much a slice cost nowadays. Does anyone have an idea?
I’m trying to get your opinion at first when I asked in our Custard Cake post if it interests you to learn how to make egg pie. What I got was an astonishing “Yes” and requests for this dessert are still piling up.
There is no need for waiting. You can now make your own egg pie at home for personal consumption or even make a small business out of it. If you are on the egg diet, then you know what to prepare.
Try this recipe and let me know what you think.
Egg Pie Recipe
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter, chilled and cut into cubes
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup cold water
- 2 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 3/4 cups evaporated milk
- 3 pieces raw eggs
- 1 piece egg, white separated from the yolk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup granulated sugar
Watch the cooking video:
- Create the crust by combining the flour, sugar, and salt then mix well.
- Add the butter in the middle and mix using a pastry mixer.
- Gradually pour the cold water while mixing the ingredients. Continue mixing until all the ingredients are well incorporated.
- Gather the dough and mold it into a ball-shaped figure.
- Refrigerate the dough for at least 30 minutes to harden the butter.
- Sprinkle flour on a clean flat surface and flatten the refrigerated dough using a rolling pin. The flattened dough should be wide enough to cover a 9 inch circular baking pan.
- Arrange the flattened dough on top of the baking pan and cut the extra edge using a pair of scissors.
- Refrigerate while doing the filling.
- Start making the filling by scalding the evaporated milk. This is done by heating it in the microwave oven for 2 minutes.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the 3 raw eggs and the separated egg yolk then whisk.
- Gradually add the granulated sugar while whisking.
- Put-in the vanilla extract then whisk until every ingredient is properly distributed.
- Pour-in the scalded milk then mix thoroughly.
- Beat the separated egg white using an electric mixer until it forms soft peaks.
- Fold the processed egg white in the milk-eggs-sugar mixture.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Pour the filling mixture on the refrigerated pie crust.
- Bake for 15 minutes at 350 degrees Fahrenheit then lower the heat to 325 degrees Fahrenheit and continue baking for 30 to 40 minutes.
- Remove the egg pie from the oven and let cool.
- Serve for dessert. Share and enjoy!
Number of servings (yield): 6
For a crunchier crust, you may want to blind bake it first before putting-in the filling.
Here are the steps:
1. After completing step 1 above (cooking procedure -create the dough), pierce the base of the dough with a fork in random places to allow air to flow.
2. Place a baking or parchment paper over the pastry base. Make sure that the paper fits the base of the pastry and the sides as well.
3. Put uncooked rice, dried beans, or pie weights over the surface of the parchment paper. This will prevent the pastry base from rising because of air bubbles.
4. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit and bake the crust for about 12 minutes or until the color turns golden brown.
5. Remove from the oven and let cool for 3 – 5 minutes. Proceed with Step 2 above (Cooking procedure – make the filling)
Note: You may need to cover the edges of the crust with an aluminum foil as a precautionary measure when baking it the second time with the filling in; doing this will prevent the edges of the crust from being burnt.