Positive feedbacks keep coming-in as a result of the different fried chicken recipes that we featured to date. Along with it are requests for a good gravy recipe to compliment the fried chicken. There isn’t any good gravy recipe that I can think of other than KFC’s so I tried whipping-up some ingredients to arrive at the closest copycat KFC Gravy recipe (in my opinion) using basic ingredients that should be available in your local supermarket.
While trying to browse the internet on this topic, I discovered several KFC gravy recipes that claim to be the closest. Though it might be true, these recipes require the use of canned beef gravy plus many other ingredients which I think is not practical at all. I find it unreasonable to use ready mix or canned gravy to arrive at another gravy variation, don’t you? Saving money is also an important factor; if there is a recipe that will cost less and still give me the taste that I’m looking for – why wouldn’t I go for it?
This gravy recipe that we have here works well with fried chicken and mashed potatoes. If you are one of those who think that gravy is some kind of soup, slurping this or mixing it with rice will work too.
Try this KFC Style Gravy recipe and let me know what you think.
- 3 tablespoons butter or vegetable shortening
- 5 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 piece chicken cube or 2 teaspoons chicken powder
- 1 piece beef cube or 2 teaspoons beef powder
- 2¼ cups water
- Dilute the beef and chicken cubes in water.
- Heat a saucepan and put-in the butter. Let the butter melt under low heat.
- Add 2 tablespoons of all-purpose flour and cook in low heat while continuously stirring for 7 to 8 minutes or until the color turns medium brown. There is a tendency that the flour might burn when overcooked or if high heat is applied. Be extra cautious.
- Add the remaining flour and continue stirring.
- Gradually add the chicken and beef broth (the result of procedure 1) while stirring. Continuous stirring is needed to prevent lumps from forming.
- Put the heat to medium and bring the mixture to a boil. Cook for 5 minutes more while stirring once in a while until the texture thickens.
- Serve hot with fried chicken or mashed potato.
- Share and enjoy!