KFC Style Gravy Recipe

Positive feedbacks keep coming-in as a result of the different fried chicken recipes that we featured to date. Along with it are requests for a good gravy recipe to compliment the fried chicken. There isn’t any good gravy recipe that I can think of other than KFC’s so I tried whipping-up some ingredients to arrive at the closest copycat KFC Gravy recipe (in my opinion) using basic ingredients that should be available in your local supermarket.

While trying to browse the internet on this topic, I discovered several KFC gravy recipes that claim to be the closest. Though it might be true, these recipes require the use of canned beef gravy plus many other ingredients which I think is not practical at all. I find it unreasonable to use ready mix or canned gravy to arrive at another gravy variation, don’t you? Saving money is also an important factor; if there is a recipe that will cost less and still give me the taste that I’m looking for – why wouldn’t I go for it?

This gravy recipe that we have here works well with fried chicken and mashed potatoes. If you are one of those who think that gravy is some kind of soup, slurping this or mixing it with rice will work too.

Try this KFC Style Gravy recipe and let me know what you think.

KFC Style Gravy

KFC Style Gravy Recipe

• 3 tablespoons butter or vegetable shortening
  • 5 tablespoons all-purpose flour
  • 1 piece chicken cube or 2 teaspoons chicken powder
  • 1 piece beef cube or 2 teaspoons beef powder
  • 2  1/4 cups water

1. Dilute the beef and chicken cubes in water.
  2. Heat a saucepan and put-in the butter. Let the butter melt under low heat.
  3. Add 2 tablespoons of all-purpose flour and cook in low heat while continuously stirring for 7 to 8 minutes or until the color turns medium brown. There is a tendency that the flour might burn when overcooked or if high heat is applied. Be extra cautious.
  4. Add the remaining flour and continue stirring.
  5. Gradually add the chicken and beef broth (the result of procedure 1) while stirring. Continuous stirring is needed to prevent lumps from forming.
  6. Put the heat to medium and bring the mixture to a boil. Cook for 5 minutes more while stirring once in a while until the texture thickens.
  7. Serve hot with fried chicken or mashed potato.
  8. Share and enjoy!

Recommended for you

Comments

1. Jahnsen says:

Hi, just wanted to know if i can use this for other fried dishes too like fried pork chops. Or it’s only appropriate for fried chicken? If so, what sauce can you suggest i can use for fried pork chops? Will this gravy rcipe enhance the flavors for my fried pork chops? Or will give it a foul taste?

• Jahsen, thanks for your question. This should be appropriate for fried pork chops too. I am not sure though about your comment regarding foul taste. Sauces should be able to enhance the flavor of dishes. If your dish has a foul taste then it might be with the manner that you prepared it.

2. Karen Jones says:

Where do you get the chicken and beef powder from? Or is this another name for something else?

• Chicken and beef powder are the actual products. These are similar to chicken bouillons. Knorr is my preferred brand. It can be found in the Hispanic isles of the supermarket.

3. Veronica says:

As I just started living on my own, this website has been a big help. I now have endless recipes to choose from everyday. Thank you for that!

I have a question though, how long do you think this would keep frozen/in the refrigerator? Thanks again and God bless you!

4. Josie nacpil says:

Thanks for sharing this recipe.. It’s good for mashed potato.. :)

5. jonathan sy says:

Great ! You help a lot !

6. ramil says:

uhmmmmm…planning to put my own business ..most of my recipes are qoute here..thank you very much PanlasangPinoy

7. hi i like the way you cook…….and my son love your burger steak recipe and specialy the gravy sause thanks for sharing your recipe…………….

8. lawrence says:

the best ‘tong gravy recipe mo kuya.

9. joven says:

can i ask ing paglagay ng all purpose flour with water ba?

10. jaybee says:

hello master pag linagay ba ung all purpose flour imimix wd water?

11. Adrien says:

Thank you po, sir. Nasubukan ko na po. Malaki matitipid tong recipe na ito kasi yung gravy ng McCormick nasa P 23.00 na and 1 cup lang magagawa, mas kokonti pa kung mag-evaporate yung tubig while cooking.
    Yung KFC gravy sa Pinas sa tingin ko me black pepper at hinalong mashed potato. Parang yun ang thickener nya kasi pag nilalagay ko sa ref, umaalsa sya ng parang may mashed potato.

12. Nareehn says:

cool.from now on il bookmark your page. thanks. ur rily helping amateurs like me.^^

13. Gerikins Asadon says:

tried this just now… and it’s S-U-P-E-R-B! And to think this is my first attempt to cook,,, I so lurv lurv lurv!!!

14. Kat R. says:

Your recipe is so good! I just added lots of ground black pepper though. And my sisters and niece loved it. I partnered it with your recipe of Scotch eggs. Thank you for sharing. More power to you and God bless!

15. Claudio A. Garcia says:

Im so much delighted of all your recipes…I’ve try some…its great..Thanks for sharing this knowledge to us…its a great help for us…God Bless….

16. thanks po

17. thanks po the best ka talaga

18. annie says:

luv it!

19. Elvin Russel says:

hi sir idol…will this gravy compliment well with mashed potatoes with garlic..and can i put a little bit of corsnstarch?

20. Way too good! :) I tried this one just one. Yummeh!! :D

21. brianna says:

the best ang panlasang pinoy!!!

22. janela says:

this is a great website for people like me who wants to know more about cooking…thank you! :) more sharing kuya vanjo!

23. Arbhie says:

this is awesome :))

24. hi ilikethis! says:

Would love to try these recipes. I cant help but notice something, are you cooking and hold the camera at the same time? It would help a lot if you have someone hold it for you :)

25. edralyn says:

Hi!

I think ur gravy is easy to make and im planning to make this one this coming saturday..i just have one question.. is it still okay if i will make it on saturday night and use or eat it on sunday lunch tym?i use it for breaded pork chops order..hope to have your reply as soon as possible..thanks

26. ayesha says:

thanks its look easy,i will try this recipe.

27. try niyo palitan ng mashed potato yung flour as thickening agent, for me ms ok yung lasa

28. ryan cruz says:

idol ko talaga Panlasang pinoy..!! dabest ka sir..! ikaw na! :D

29. anton uy says:

saraap, i have already tried it.. just now.. and its delicious….thanks for sharing with us…

30. dorcas says:

hello po! I’ve tried it and ang galing! very easy to do… thanks for the recipe

31. jackiedelrey says:

love the recipe sooo much!!! so easy and sooo tipid =)) thanks a lot

32. RainDropsOnYourHead says:

Gravy pa lang ulam na! Galing mo SIR!! :))

33. denise says:

good day! i will be having a birthday party this week and I would like to cook for my guests this time around. In line with this, i was just wondering if i could make this gravy recipe and also the mashed potatoes a day before the party to save time on the day itself? would they still be as delicious? thanks! :)

34. Anmee says:

Sir may tanong lang, 2 and 1/4 cup po ba yan or we need 2 of 1/4 cup, dapat po ba seperate ang pag dilute sa chicken and beef or magkasama na?, Sana po mag post po kayo sa youtube kung pano ito gawin :( Ty po sa pag share nito. God bless :)

35. Jean Mary says:

I’ll surely try this one. Affordable ang mga ingredients and very simple. Thanks for sharing this one. I’m sure this will compliment my own fried chicken recipe and other fried meats.

36. adeth says:

i will surely try this, i really love KFC gravy… hope it will be the same taste! :)

37. wife_and_mom says:

gagawin ko to mamaya.. isasama ko sa beef with brocolli and mushroom recipe ko..sana maganda kalabasan..

38. amateur_chef says:

thank you…thank you…thank you. this recipe made my day :D

39. i really love panlasang pinoy i learned a lot of reciepies thanks!

40. Cathy says:

uhhhmmmm i try ko ito pra gayahin ang burger steak ng jollibee which is my japanese husband favorite….

41. rodel says:

ka ta try lng po namin….the best master….

• lhein says:

ok try ko din plus roasted chicken…..i will let you know if it’s really yummy…thank you po in advance.

42. josette says:

thanks Again! this is more like it. Bet i’ll try this in my next burger steak sauce. my son will surely love it. more power to You…

43. maribel says:

hello vanj…..i tried this gravy and it’s really yummy…i used it with the max’s fried chicken recipe of yours.luv it!more swak sa budget recipes pleeeaaasssee..LOL

44. i wanna ask if how many tablespoon of all porpuse im going to put…because im confused,, in recipe i was read 5 tablespoon but in procedure 2 tablespoon what is true and how many im going to put for kfc style gravy?hope you can answr my comment…thank you

45. how many flour im going to put in kfc style gravy,,,because in recipe 5 table spoon…then in procedure 2 tablespoon im so confused about im going to put?

46. 1st time i tried, i burnt the butter/flour mix… it was too salty… i added water but the gravy lost its “creamyness”…

2nd time i tried, i put half beef and half chicken cubes instead of 1 whole each… i think its just right, but it doesnt taste like kfc… i think im doing something wrong…

will try again… thanks!

47. Cianel says:

Yay! gravy to go with my hanburg steak ^_^

48. pongsilei says:

i lily lily like it… ahahhahaha astig pag gawa ng gravy… panalo

49. better try this! i’m planning to cook mashed potato next week, this would be a great partner for it.

btw, followed you through google connect. would you like to exchange links with my food/cooking blog?

thanks a lot for sharing this recipe!

50. Lovely Ellington says:

KFC nga! naalala ko tuloy nung nasa cebu pako kain kami sa KFC (well i can just eat rice and gravy if from KFC then)with my bestfriend before I left for the States, it just flashes back the memories… Thank you sa walang sawang pagpopost ng mga recipe kuya, you’re simply the Best!

51. Doc Rich says:

so yummy! the best. I think I can have crispy fried chicken and mashed potatoes for the whole week. hehehe. thanks.

52. hello, jus want to ask if ilang servings po mggwa with the KFC gravy recipe above, thank you po! and more power! :)

53. this one is the best!!!!at least now i know how to do it, i can make it myself,thank you…thank you… keep sharing with us your expertise…

54. keep it up panlasang pinoy! fan din ako ng blog na to, and to be honest… i learned a lot and still learning sa mga recipes mo..Thank you and more power!

55. Sheena Dy-Balaga says:

hi there..i am so happy that i finally found a site which showcases amazing and delectable recipes that are easy to follow ..i am not good in cooking. as a newly wed, i would love to serve my husband yummy and healthy foods…your recipes will be of great help..i tried cooking your fried chicken recipe (the one with fresh milk) along with this gravy and well, my husband loved it!!keep on posting amazing recipes…I am a HUGE fan!!

56. Sharon Alvarez says:

Hi, I accidentaly came to your website and the first recipe i saw was the Max’s Fried Chicken and the KFC Gravy, the procedure was very simple and definitely i will make this recipe of yours soon.

Hoping to see more of your recipe..

57. Elena says:

Hi Kuya ! Normal lang po ba na maging malapot yung gravy??

58. mylyntm says:

thanks a lot panlasang pinoy=)

59. thanx sir…un pala un…cubes n butter…may susubukan na naman…im not a gud cook but thanx to people like u…i was able to prepare meals for my mom for bout 2 yrs..ehehe..keep them coming sir..n thanx again…

60. jayjaymaymay says:

hello po. highschool pa lang po ako but im practicing to cook na because of the course i want in the future, ask ko lng po, if you get your recipes from experimenting or you use some kind of method from other recipes?

61. andrei melo says:

actually nde nmn nakakataba yan :))wahahahahaXD!

62. tilet vergara says:

this site is soooo coooolll! so helpful talaga! ang dali sundan ng mga procedures at di magarbo ang recipe yet so yummmmyy naman ang outcome….more power!

63. Josiee says:

Hi Vanj, ang tagal kong hind nakapag comment. Pero eto yung matagal ko ng hinahanap na gravy. I am also waiting for the release of your ecookbook volume 1. Winner yan kasi lahat ng recipe mo ay winner talaga. Thank you sa mga recipes mo and GOD BLESS!

64. julz ganda(japan) says:

hi po…ang tagal ko na pong hinahanap ang paggawa ng gravy…thank you so much po…god bless you…naku di na ako makakapagdiet nito…heheheeheheh thank you so much!!!

65. thank u kuya! my husband loves gravy and isinasabaw din nya. ingat po palagi. God bless.

66. Good to hear from you Alvin. I appreciate your positive feedback.

Happy cooking!

67. Thanks for commenting Camille. See you around

68. Hehe huwag kang mahiya eivol kasi di ko kinakahiya na isabaw yung gravy :)

69. Please feel free to add ground black pepper,rodel.

70. guest says:

Sir wala bang video ito sa youtube :) thanks for sharing though

71. Hehe, dahan-dahan lang Claire baka masobrahan :)

72. marie says:

guys this is amazing really taste gud,i just cook it…

73. james tenorio of lipa city says:

tnx much boss..u made my day complete…i have now a very taste tempting gravy for my mashed potato…

Paleo Cook Book (sponsor)