Chicken Sopas is a soup dish filled with diced or shredded boneless chicken meat and elbow macaroni noodles. This chicken soup is a common breakfast or snack food among Filipino families particularly during the rainy season. Since this is a family favorite, most Filipino families have their own treasured Chicken Sopas recipe. I’m guessing that some recipes might even be passed from generation to generation.
The difference of Chicken Sopas from other traditional chicken soups is the use of milk. Fresh or even evaporated milk is added to the soup along with the chicken and different vegetables for a richer flavor. The addition of other meats such as diced hotdogs or luncheon meat in some recipes can also be considered as one of the factors that make this soup dish different from the traditional ones. I, for one, have tried almost all the versions of this dish (I even tried one recipe that makes use of chicken liver) and they were all great.
This particular recipe is one of the simplest recipes that I tried. I shot the video during our 3 day camping adventure at Indiana Dunes. In order to save some time and avoid a lot of mess, I used diced boneless chicken meat and chicken broth rather than deriving stock by boiling bone-in chicken. The taste is pretty much the same but you can save more money if you do it the traditional way: boiling bone-in chicken to make chicken stock and manually removing the meat from the bones.
By the way, the noodles and vegetables may vary depending on the recipe. Feel free to use the appropriate vegetables that you desire.
Can I also request you to share your way of making Chicken Sopas for the benefit of everyone? I am excited to learn from you.
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium sized onion, diced
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast, diced
- 32 ounces chicken broth (about 4 cups)
- 2 cups elbow macaroni
- ¾ cup celery stalk, chopped
- ¾ cup carrots, diced
- ¾ cup cabbage; shredded
- ¾ cup fresh or evaporated milk
- 1 cup water
- Salt and ground black pepper to taste
- Heat a cooking pot and put-in the butter. Allow the butter to melt.
- Add onions and cook until the texture becomes soft.
- Put-in the boneless chicken breasts and cook for 3 to 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle some salt and ground black pepper and stir.
- Add chicken broth and bring to a boil.
- Pour-in water and milk and wait to re-boil. Simmer for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Add the elbow macaroni and cook for 8 minutes while stirring once in awhile.
- Put-in the carrots and celery and simmer for 3 minutes.
- Add the cabbage and cook for 2 minutes more.
- Turn-off the heat and transfer to a serving plate.
- Serve hot. Share and enjoy!