Tofu in Black Bean Sauce is an easy flavorful Asian tofu dish. This recipe is so simple and quick – it just took me less than 20 minutes to complete and serve this dish.
Since tofu is the main ingredient of this dish, it is better to ensure to use the right kind of tofu. I used firm tofu for this recipe. Firm tofu is different from the extra firm tofu which is usually used for tokwa’t baboy. Unlike extra firm tofu, firm tofu does not get crispy right away when fried; it is the ideal texture needed for this dish. As for the salted black beans, make sure that you rinse them first before cooking to decrease the salinity. Placing salted black beans without rinsing will make this dish too salty.
This dish is best for vegetarians and for those who want to get away from meat once in a while.
Try this Tofu in Black Bean Sauce Recipe and let me know what you think.
Tofu in Black Bean Sauce Recipe
- 1 lb firm fried tofu, cubed (it should be crisp outside but soft inside)
- 1/3 cup vegetable stock (chicken or beef stock can also be used)
- 2 teaspoons cooking rice wine
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 3 teaspoons soy sauce
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 thumb ginger, minced
- 2 tablespoons salted black beans (tausi), rinsed and chopped
- 6 green onions (or leeks), sliced in 2 inch length
- 1/2 cup red bell pepper, diced
- 2 cups bok choy, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- In a bowl, combine vegetable stock, cornstarch, sesame oil, cooking rice wine, soy sauce, salt, and ground black pepper. Stir until everything is well incorporated and set aside.
- Heat a pan and pour-in cooking oil.
- When the oil is hot enough, sauté the garlic and ginger.
- Add the black beans and cook for a minute.
- Add the red bell pepper and cook for another minute.
- Put-in the fried tofu and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the green onion and bok choy and cook for 2 minutes more.
- Pour-in the sauce mixture and cook until the texture becomes thick.
- Transfer to a serving bowl and serve.
- Share and Enjoy!
Number of servings (yield): 4