This is recipe for Ma Po Tofu. It is a spicy Sichuan tofu dish. Before you begin, let me first caution you about how spicy this dish can be using the recipe provided below. You should be able to tone down the spice a bit by reducing the amount of fresh chili peppers and chili bean sauce. However, if you are into spicy food, this recipe is for you.
This recipe makes use of ground pork and chicken broth. The ground pork can be considered as a traditional ingredient, while I just added chicken broth to bring-in more flavor. Chili bean sauce and fermented soy bean are essential ingredients because these provide most of the flavor to the dish.
You will notice that the recipe do not involve salt. Fermented soy bean paste is salty enough. It provides the needed amount of saltiness to the dish. As for the tofu, make sure to use silken tofu.
If you are a fan of tofu, don’t forget to checkout our tofu recipes section.
Try this Ma Po Tofu Recipe. Let me know what you think.
Ma Po Tofu Recipe
- Heat wok or pan on a stovetop.
- Add ground pork. Cook until it turns light brown.
- Pour sesame oil and add ginger, garlic, half of the scallions, and chopped chillies. Stir fry for 2 minutes.
- Stir-in the chili bean sauce and fermented soy beans. Pour 1 1/2 cup chicken broth. Let boil. Cover and cook in medium heat for 15 minutes.
- Add tofu. Cook until sauce reduces to half.
- Combine cornstarch and 1/2 cup chicken broth. Stir. Pour the mixture into the wok. Cook until texture thickens.
- Transfer to a serving bowl. Top with remaining scallions.
- Serve. Share and enjoy!