Have you ever tasted Tuyo Pasta or at least heard about it? It is a good example of a classy dish that makes use of the humble and well-liked food among the masses – the tuyo.
Tuyo is a term used to call small salted dried fish. This is considered as a poor man’s food because of its affordability. Two of the most common methods of cooking this fish are frying or grilling directly in charcoal.
Who says that tuyo is just a simple food that you can only eat with rice or champorado? Throughout the years, several dishes involving this beloved fish came into being. Among those dishes, my personal favorite is the Tuyo Pasta.
I did several experiments to hype the Tuyo Pasta; this Creamy Tuyo Pesto recipe is the best – by far. This dish has the flavor and texture of what a good pasta dish should have. Besides being a good pasta dish, I like Creamy Tuyo Pesto because it makes use tuyo: one of my all time favorite food.
Try this Creamy Tuyo Pesto Recipe and let me know what you think.
1/2 lb. spaghetti noodles
4 to 5 pieces cooked tuyo (salted dried fish), flaked
3 to 5 cloves garlic
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup of extra virgin olive oil
3/4 cup parmesan cheese, grated
1 cup fresh basil leaves
3/4 cup heavy whipping cream
2 tablespoons butter
1/4 cup water
2 tablespoons butter
Watch the cooking video:
1. Heat a cooking pan then pour-in water. Let boil.
2. Cook the spaghetti noodles according to package instructions. Set aside.
3. Combine garlic and olive oil in a blender or food processor then blend until finely chopped.
4. Add salt, ground black pepper, basil leaves, and half of the parmesan cheese then blend until the texture becomes fine. You may add extra olive oil as needed. Set aside.
5. Heat a cooking pot and pour-in water and heavy whipping cream. Stir.
6. When the mixture is hot enough, put-in butter and stir until melted.
7. Add-in the tuyo flakes and pesto then stir.
8. Put-in the remaining parmesan cheese and stir. Simmer until the texture thickens.
9. Turn off heat. Top noodles with sauce.
10. Serve. Share and enjoy!