This is a shared recipe by Sarah Lee. She is a food writer and a columnist. You can find more details in her celebreaty4recipes blog.
Share this Post:
Our well-loved Sopas and it may not be in a restaurant menu, but at home, this tops in soup requests. It is super pinoy soup and yumm!
1/2 lb (200g) macaroni noodles (I use ditali pasta or small pasta tubes), cooked in salted water until al dente, drained
2 pieces frozen skinless chicken breast
3 tablespoons cooking oil
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1 medium onion, chopped
1 stick (1/2 cup) butter or margarine
1 small can vienna sausage, drained and sliced
1 small carrot, peeled and sliced into strips
1/4 cup frozen green peas
1/2 cup grated cheddar cheese
1 1/2 tablespoons kosher salt
1 tablespoon white sugar
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
2 tablespoons fish sauce or patis
10 cups chicken broth
1 tall can evaporated milk
1 cup sliced or roughly shredded green cabbage
Salt and pepper or patis to taste
Garnish: fried garlic
1. Boil the chicken in 4 cups water. Save the broth and add enough water to measure 10 cups to be used later.
2. Shred the Chicken meat with your fingers. Set aside.
3. Saute garlic and onion in oil over medium heat. Add butter or margarine and stir in shredded chicken, sliced vienna sausage, grated cheddar cheese, carrot strips, frozen peas. Keep on stirring and add seasonings.
4. Pour in the 10 cups chicken broth and let boil. Pour in the milk, and keep on stirring until the mixture boils again.
5. Add the cabbage and macaroni. Adjust seasonings.
6. Serve hot with a sprinkle of fried garlic on top of soup.
About 12 to 15 servings.