Peanut Brittle is a hard but breakable confection made from mainly sugar and peanuts. This is considered as good treat for the Christmas Season. If you are still thinking of a good gift for your friends and relatives, this is surely a good idea.
Peanut Brittle makes me think about a city in the Philippines called Baguio. In that city lies the Good Shepherd convent; the nuns run a store that sells delicious home-made treats. Peanut brittle is one of the best delights that they offer.
Aside from peanuts, using pecans and almonds also produce good results.
Try this Peanut Brittle recipe and let me know your thoughts.
Peanut Brittle Recipe
- 1 cup peanuts
- 1 cup granulated white sugar
- 1/2 cup light corn syrup
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
Watch the cooking video:
- Grease a baking tray or cookie sheet. Set aside.
- Heat a saucepan then put-in corn syrup, sugar, water, and salt. Stir and bring to a boil.
- Add the peanuts then stir.
- Using a candy thermometer, measure the temperature until it reaches 290 degrees Fahrenheit. It is a must that you use low heat to avoid the sugar and peanuts from being burnt.
- Turn-off heat then put-in the butter and baking soda. Stir thoroughly
- Pour the mixture on the greased baking tray then arrange. Allow the mixture to completely cool.
- Remove the mixture from the tray and snap into desired sizes.
- Place in a container and serve.
- Share and enjoy!
Number of servings (yield): 6