Lengua de Gato

Lengua de Gato are long thin cookies that resembles the shape of a cat’s tongue. This might be the reason why these tasty treats were called such.

This is one of my favorite holiday treats. They usually come in plastic jars similar to the packaging of the commercialized Peanut Brittle. Whenever I receive one for Christmas, all I do is make myself a cup of coffee and just like magic – the contents of the jar are all gone.

Have you tried making your own Lengua de Gato? You might probably think that the process is complicated. Actually, it is not. All that you’ll be needing are tools that can help make your work easier.

Mixing, Piping, and Baking are the only things that you need to do. It is better if you have an electric stand mixer or an electric hand mixer to make the mixing process as easy as possible. The key in mixing is to make sure that all the ingredients are well distributed.

Piping is defined as an ornamentation on pastry edges and seams. This is usually done with icing to make a cake look more beautiful. In our case, we need to pipe the mixture so that a long thin shape can be achieved. This is done by placing the mixture in a piping bag with tip and pressing the bag over a wax paper lined baking tray until the desired shape is formed. As for the tip, I use the standard number 12 round tip.

The last process involved to complete our treat is baking. When baking Lengua de Gato, always remember to preheat the oven for 10 minutes before starting to bake. Since these are thin cookies, it could burn easily. Remember to stick to the given temperature, but check the color of the cookie once in a while. Sometimes, you’ll need to adjust the time depending on the oven that you are using.

Try this Lengua de Gato Recipe and let me know what you think.

Happy Holidays!!!

Ingredients:

1 cup all-purpose flour, sifted

1/2 cup superfine white sugar

Whites from 2 eggs

1/4 teaspoon salt

1/2 cup butter, softened

1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

Cooking procedure:

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.

2. Cream the butter using an electric mixer then gradually add the sugar. Continue mixing for another 2 minutes.

3. Stir-in the egg whites gradually and mix for about 3 to 4 minutes more.

4. Add salt and vanilla extract.

5. Gradually stir-in the flour. Continue to mix for about 2 to 3 minutes more or until the mixture is well incorporated.

6. Get a piping bag and install a round tip. Place the mixture in the piping bag.

7. On a baking tray lined with wax or parchment paper, begin piping the mixture. Each piece should be about 2.5 to 3 inches in length.

8. Bake for 9 to 10 minutes.

9. Remove from the oven and place in a cookie rack until the temperature cools down.

10. Place in a container and serve.

11. Share and enjoy!

Recommended for you

Comments

1. Marianne scott says:

I made this lengua de gato today it’s delicious and my kids love ‘em. Thank you for this yummy recipe. God bless..:)

2. ema plazo says:

pwede po ba pa request nang sylvanna,.thanks po tito

3. ema plazo says:

to die for tito vanj,i made it!!!!…. super sarap….

4. Aaron Perez says:

Ilang pieces magagawa nito?

5. emmarie says:

looking for some merienda “pambaon” for my husband on you tube then I found this recipe…. I super super like this, whenever I’m in Baguio I always have to buy lots (and I mean LOTSS) of it and now having found this site I can now make my very own lengua de gato…. I did tried it today too, and it tastes ohhh sooo goodddd…. Thanks Vanjo… more power and God Bless

6. camille says:

yummy… kuya may request sana ako kung pano gumawa ng barquillos… thanks..

7. hi just want to ask how can i make it taste more milky and thinner? i wanted to add evap milk but i dont have any idea how it will affect the consistency of the lengua de gato.

8. Marichu says:

i tried and its delicious! My 14 month old son likes it very much!

9. Khristine says:

Can I use hand mixer? Thanks and merry Christmas …

10. FAVORITE KO YAN PWDE PO BA REGALO NOY SAKEN HEHEHEEHEHEHE THIS CHRISTMAS……..
    JOKE LNG PO HEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHE
    MAGAN PO SYA THANKS PO

11. krissy says:

geeeez….how simple is that!!? kelangang magawa ko ito this week! thank u for sharing

12. great xmas gift idea! btw, where did you buy your window pastry box?

13. Careen says:

Watching this video has convinced me to get a kitchenaid mixer. I have always wanted one. By the way, thanks for all your recipes. Your food blog is definitely the best on the web.

14. Grace Westmacott says:

Hi again Vanjo,
    I made it last night wow, parehong pareho ng nasa photo mo ang kulang yung box mo san mo ba binili wala nyan dito sa NZ? I’m so happy and inspired sa mga delicacies and recipes mo sa PP, keep on sharing ha. More power sa website mo.

15. Stephen, it is different from confectioner’s sugar. Superfine sugar is also called caster sugar.

• Grace Westmacott says:

HI Vanjoe,

Musta na iho, si Grace ito from NZ, gagawin ko ito ngayon and I will let you know ha eto yung much awaited cookies na hinihintay ng sister ko. Merry Christmas to you at sa iyong family dyan sa US. God bless sa website mo ha nakaka blessed talaga! Cheers

• Michelle says:

Can I just use regular refined white sugar? or even brown sugar?

• cookinchitown says:

ok. refined white sugar might have bigger crystals, so unless u want a crystallized sugar on your cookie…why not
      brown sugar will lend yung molasses flavor. so i dont think u can, but some people do that. its your choice.
      confectioners sugar is powdered sugar with cornstarch. i dont think u can really substitute that with super fine sugar.

• autumnstars says:

request for pacencia recipe please:)

16. tetchie says:

what is the oven temperature?

• Grace Westmacott says:

Tetchie,

Hi nasa itaas ng recipe yung temp 375 degrees farenheit. Thanks.

Paleo Cook Book (sponsor)