Marinara Sauce is a type of red sauce made with tomatoes, herbs, and spices. Although it might sound like an ordinary spaghetti sauce, this sauce tend to be spicier than ordinary tomato based sauces. Aside from being a popular sauce for pasta, Marinara sauce is also a good dipping sauce for mozzarella cheese sticks and soft breads. This sauce got its name from its inventors: the cooks aboard Napolitan ships (these ships come from the city of Naples or Napoli). Some say that “Marinara” came from the Italian word for sea, “Marinaro”.
Try this Marinara Sauce Recipe and let us hear your thoughts
Marinara Sauce Recipe
- 2 teaspoon tablespoon garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons dried oregano
- 2 pieces dried bay leaves
- 2 tablespoons dried parsley
- 3 cups crushed tomatoes
- 1 small onion, minced
- 3 cups tomato sauce
- 2 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed chili or chili powder
- Heat a cooking pot then pour-in olive oil.
- Sauté garlic and onions.
- When the onions are softy, add crushed tomatoes and tomato sauce and let boil.
- Put-in dried oregano, parsley, chili, bay leaves, and parmesan cheese. Stir.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer for 3 minutes or until the mixture thickens.
- Turn-off heat and let the marinara sauce cool down.
- Transfer to a container and store in the fridge or cook as an ingredient, right away.
Number of servings (yield): 4