Pork Guisantes Recipe

Pork Guisantes is a tomato base pork stew. This recipe is similar to Pork Menudo and Pork Afritada, but some ingredients vary.

I use tomato sauce to make this dish back in the days. I only started having canned diced tomatoes a few years ago – when I ran out of tomato sauce. I was in the middle of the cooking process when I realized that I already consumed the last can of tomato sauce for the Pinoy Spaghetti that I made a day before. It was a good thing that I was able to find a can of diced tomatoes sitting in the pantry. The Pork Guisantes dish that I made that day had a fresher flavor. That discovery made me use canned diced tomatoes (or fresh diced tomatoes) ever since.

This is a typical everyday dish fit for lunch or dinner. It is best served with hot steamed rice.

I get a lot of feedback regarding the lack of serving size information. Thanks for informing me. I will include the serving sizes on all recipes starting from this post. I will update the others  when I get the chance. This recipe is good for 5 to 6 persons.

Try this Pork Guisantes Recipe and let me know what you think.

Pork Guisantes

Pork Guisantes Recipe

• 1 lb pork, sliced into strips
  • 1 large red bell pepper, sliced into strips
  • 14 ounce (canned) sweet peas or 1 1/2 cups frozen sweet peas
  • 15 ounces (canned) diced tomatoes
  • 1 1/2 cups beef broth
  • 3 cloves garlic minced
  • 1 medium onion, cubed
  • 2 tablespoons cooking oil
  • salt and ground black pepper to taste

1. Heat a pan and pour-in cooking oil
  2. Saute garlic and onions
  3. Put-in the pork and cook for 3 to 5 minutes
  4. Add the diced tomatoes and beef broth and let boil. Simmer until the pork is tender (usually 30 to 45 minutes)
  5. Sprinkle some salt and pepper and stir.
  6. Add the red bell, and then cook for 5 minutes.
  7. Put-in the sweet peas (guisantes) and cook for 1 to 2 minutes.
  8. Turn the heat off, and then transfer to a serving plate.
  9. Serve with steamed rice.
  10. Share and enjoy!

Recommended for you

Comments

1. christian allarde says:

Hi Jumelyn,

Just boil some beef bones and you have beef stock.

2. christian allarde says:

Hi Lulu,
    Well you live in Holland there’s probably a lot of good beef, just boil some beef bones and you have beef stock, or if you have a filipino store near you look for beef cubes.

3. christian allarde says:

Hi Vanjo,

I noticed something very interesting that is most of these dishes such as Pochero, Afritada, Asado, Mechado, Adobo, and maybe Caldereta. Are Spanish influenced dishes. It’s just that we just adapted those dishes and then moved it up a notch I guess. Also I noticed that in Filipino cooking we don’t use to much herbs and spices aside from salt and pepper and maybe garlic if you want to call garlic an herb. Maybe it is because in Filipino cooking most people who learned this dishes from their relatives or had had dishes passed down to them by generation to generation would like to keep the dish as simple as possible.

4. hi po askd ko lang po panu po makakuha ng cookbook nyo sir kung nand2 kmi sa u.s? thanks have a good day!

5. oj lep says:

kuya like ko talaga lahat ng recipe mo, super galing mo! =) san ako maka bili ng recipe book mo?

6. Francine says:

kuya, i think i read somewhere that you have a cookbook already? is this true?

7. Thanks Nesto

8. Whiggy, you can use boneless chicken breasts to replace the pork. Also, use chicken broth instead of beef broth.

9. kuya vanjo, are sweet peas same with green peas? thanks!

10. mar_mar says:

Hi,
    I’m from Greece and I think your site is great I use alot of the recipes Thanks!!
    This dish is very similar to a greek dish I make at least twice a month for my family with a few differences: instead of pork I use a little bacon some diced potatoes and a little dill if you like. That’s it! I will definetly try it with the pork even though 1 day of no meat in a meal is alot better!! Thanks again for your recipes!!! Keep ‘em coming!

Paleo Cook Book (sponsor)