I use tomato sauce to make this dish back in the days. I only started having canned diced tomatoes a few years ago – when I ran out of tomato sauce. I was in the middle of the cooking process when I realized that I already consumed the last can of tomato sauce for the Pinoy Spaghetti that I made a day before. It was a good thing that I was able to find a can of diced tomatoes sitting in the pantry. The Pork Guisantes dish that I made that day had a fresher flavor. That discovery made me use canned diced tomatoes (or fresh diced tomatoes) ever since.
This is a typical everyday dish fit for lunch or dinner. It is best served with hot steamed rice.
I get a lot of feedback regarding the lack of serving size information. Thanks for informing me. I will include the serving sizes on all recipes starting from this post. I will update the others when I get the chance. This recipe is good for 5 to 6 persons.
Try this Pork Guisantes Recipe and let me know what you think.
Pork Guisantes Recipe
- 1 lb pork, sliced into strips
- 1 large red bell pepper, sliced into strips
- 14 ounce (canned) sweet peas or 1 1/2 cups frozen sweet peas
- 15 ounces (canned) diced tomatoes
- 1 1/2 cups beef broth
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 medium onion, cubed
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
Watch the cooking video:
- Heat a pan and pour-in cooking oil
- Saute garlic and onions
- Put-in the pork and cook for 3 to 5 minutes
- Add the diced tomatoes and beef broth and let boil. Simmer until the pork is tender (usually 30 to 45 minutes)
- Sprinkle some salt and pepper and stir.
- Add the red bell, and then cook for 5 minutes.
- Put-in the sweet peas (guisantes) and cook for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Turn the heat off, and then transfer to a serving plate.
- Serve with steamed rice.
- Share and enjoy!
Number of servings (yield): 4