Tinolang Tahong is a mussel soup recipe with ginger and spinach. This recipe is inspired by a famous Filipino soup dish called tinolang manok or chicken tinola — which uses chicken, green papaya wedges, and chili pepper leaves. This mussel soup recipe is simple, budget-friendly, and delicious. This is also quick to prepare. It took me only 15 minutes to cook this dish. I like to eat mussels because of its nice flavor. Aside from that, mussels are good for the health: they are excellent source of Selenium, vitamin B12, zinc, and folate.
Try this Tinolang Tahong recipe and let me know what you think.
- 1 lb mussels (tahong), cleaned
- 2 cups spinach
- 2 tablespoons ginger, julienned
- 1 medium yellow onion, sliced
- 5 cloves garlic, pounded
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3 cups water
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
Watch the cooking video:
- Cooking procedure:
- Heat a cooking pot and pour-in cooking oil.
- Saute garlic and onion.
- Add ginger and mussels, and then cook for a minute.
- Pour-in water. let boil.
- Add salt and pepper. Stir and cook for 8 to 10 minutes.
- Put-in the spinach. Turn the heat off and cover the pot.
- Allow the residual heat to cook the spinach.
- Transfer to a serving plate.
- Serve. Share and enjoy.
Number of servings (yield): 3