Tortilla soup is a chicken soup variety served with tortillas. There are claims that this tortilla soup recipe originated from the southwest as a way to use old tortillas. It might be true, but I will attest that this does not taste like any old tortilla at all. In fact, this soup is very flavorful and fresh tasting.
This tortilla soup recipe is a bit spicy because of the Jalapeno. It is best served during the cold seasons. I also find this rich and comforting –maybe because of the avocado and cheese.
Do you like soups? How about giving this a try?
Try this Tortilla Soup Recipe and let me know what you think.
- 2 cups chicken, cooked and shredded
- 1 medium avocado (ripe), peeled and sliced
- Corn tortilla strips
- 1 piece jalapeno pepper, sliced crosswise
- 1 can diced tomatoes (about 15 ounces)
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ cup cilantro, chopped
- 2 pieces lime, sliced into wedges
- ¼ cup sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons garlic, minced
- Heat a cooking pot and pour-in oil.
- Put-in onion when the oil becomes hot. Cook until soft.
- Add garlic and jalapeno.
- Put-in tomatoes and cook for a minute.
- Add chicken broth and let boil.Simmer for 10 minutes.
- Put the shredded chicken and salt. Simmer for 12 minutes.
- Turn the heat off and transfer to a serving bowl.
- Add cilantro, tortilla strips, sliced avocado, and cheese.
- Serve with lime. Share and enjoy!