Bulanglang is a healthy dish consisting of different types of vegetables. There are different versions of Bulanglang; this particular recipe is the version from the province of Batangas.Making Bulanglang is quick and easy; all you need to do is boil water or rice washing (water used to clean rice) and put-in the vegetables according to their cooking time. Thick and hard vegetables such as calabaza squash (kalabasa) and green papaya should be boiled first, while soft green vegetables like malunggay should be added last.
This is probably the healthiest Filipino soup because of the combination of different kinds of vegetables. Having a serving of Bulanglang can supply most of your body’s daily needed vitamins and minerals. As for the taste, this dish has a very mild and simple taste. The flavors are derived from the vegetables alone. You can try adding a little salt to enhance the flavor. Some people make a dip consisting of fish sauce (patis), birds eye chili (siling labuyo), and calamansi to add more flavor. If you want to try this dish to avail of its health benefits, I suggest that you take it easy on the salt and fish sauce.
Although there are common vegetables used to make this dish, you can modify the recipe by using the vegetables that appeal to you.
I like to eat this with “Sinaing na Tulingan”.
Try this Bulanglang Recipe and let me know what you think.
- 1 piece small Green Papaya, sliced
- 2 cups calabaza squash, sliced
- Loofah (Patola), sliced
- Lemon Grass (Optional)
- 3 medium tomatoes, sliced
- 10 to 15 small Okra
- 1 cup malunggay (moringa) leaves
- 4 cloves garlic, lightly crushed
- 1 thumb ginger, chopped
- 1 to 2 teaspoons salt
- 4 to 6 cups rice Washing
Watch the cooking video:
- Heat a cooking pot and pour-in rice washing. Let boil.
- Add garlic, ginger, and lemongrass. Boil for 5 to 7 minutes.
- Remove the lemongrass. Add papaya and calabaza squash. Boil for 6 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, okra, and loofah. Cook for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Put-in the malunggay and salt. Stir. Turn the heat off.
- Transfer to a serving bowl and serve. Share and enjoy!
Number of servings (yield): 6