A beer brat is a type of sausage sandwich that uses bratwurst as its main ingredient. Instead of going directly to the grill, the brats are first soaked and cooked in a mixture of beer, onion, and butter. The brats are individually arranged in hotdog buns and topped with the cooked onions.
I like this recipe because it is easy and not complicated. Anyone can do this, even those without prior cooking experience. Some of you might say “But wait, what about the alcohol in beer? “. Don’t worry. As the beer starts boiling, the alcohol slowly evaporates leaving only the flavor.
This is good to eat while watching your favorite team compete in the sports channel – or simply when you feel like eating it. Two sandwiches can be enough for one person, but try to make more for unexpected guests.
Aside from making Beer Brats, bratwurst can be simply grilled or used as an ingredient in stews, casseroles, and jambalaya.
Try this Beer Brats Recipe and let me know what you think.
Beer Brats Recipe
- 12 pieces bratwurst
- 1 large white or yellow onion, sliced
- 1 (12 oz.) can beer
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- a few drops of tabasco sauce
- Hotdog buns
- Heat a cooking pot and pour-in the beer.
- Add the onion, butter, garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Let boil.
- Put-in the bratwurst and cook in low to medium heat for about 16 minutes.
- Remove the bratwurst. Continue cooking the onions until the liquid reduces to about a few tablespoons.
- Grill the bratwurst for 8 to 10 minutes while rotating to cook all the sides. Set aside.
- Arrange the bratwurst in hotdog buns and top with the onion.
- Serve. Share and enjoy!
Number of servings (yield): 8