Chicken Galantina is a popular Filipino Holiday Stuffed Chicken recipe. This dish is best enjoyed cold and can be eaten with either bread or rice.
Preparing Chicken Galantina takes some time and patience. To me, the most challenging part is deboning the chicken. It takes precision, some skill, and a lot of patience to remove each of the bones inside the chicken without making any incision. I did this by using a paring knife and working on cavity at the lower part of the chicken near the pope’s nose. The hardest part to debone was the wing, but it feels good to accomplish the task as expected.
It will help if the chicken meat is marinated before stuffing. For this, I combined soy sauce and lemon (or calamansi) and marinated the chicken for half an hour. It was only after when the chicken meat absorbed the flavor that I started to work with the stuffing. Filling the meat and veggie concoction inside the chicken is easiest part.
Steaming the chicken might take a while. It will depend on the size of the chicken and how much stuffing you put in. It is also important to secure the chicken in a cloth to prevent it from sticking in the steamer and also to hold everything in one piece. Once the chicken is cooked, all that’s needed is to let it cool down for a few minutes and then refrigerate. This is what I also do with embutido. They both are best when served cold.
Try this Chicken Galantina Recipe. Send us your feedback.
Chicken Galantina Recipe
- 1 whole chicken, deboned
- 1 lb. ground pork
- 4 pieces Chinese sausage
- 3 tablespoons sweet pickle relish
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 2 pieces hard boiled eggs
- 3/4 cup minced ham
- 3/4 cup chopped Vienna sausage
- 1/2 cup minced yellow onion
- 1/2 cup minced carrot
- 1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 5 tablespoons bread crumbs
- 3/4 cup soy sauce
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
Watch the cooking video
- Combine ground pork, ham, Vienna sausage, bell pepper, carrot, onion, raisins, sweet pickle relish, salt, and pepper. Mix well.
- Add the bread crumbs and then continue mixing. Set aside.
- Combine lemon juice and soy sauce in a large container. Stir.
- Marinate the whole chicken in the lemon and soy sauce mixture for 30 minutes.
- Remove the chicken from the mixture and then stuff with half of the meat and vegetable mixture.
- Arrange the boiled eggs and Chinese sausage inside the chicken and then continue to put-in the rest of the meat mixture.
- Secure the chicken by wrapping it in a cheese cloth and tying both ends of the cloth with a kitchen twine.
- Meanwhile, boil about 1 to 1 1/2 quarts of water in a steamer.
- Steam the chicken for 90 minutes.
- Let the chicken cool down and then refrigerate for 3 to 6 hours.
- Slice into serving pieces.
- Serve. Share and enjoy!
Number of servings (yield): 6