Tinola is a ginger and onion based soup with chicken as the usual main ingredient. Chicken tinola is an authentic Filipino main dish and best complimented with green papaya wedges (an alternative is chayote) and chili pepper leaves. As a traditional dish, the chicken is usually cooked in low heat for quite some time to bring out the natural flavor. This dish is best served during cold and rainy weather because of the warming effect of the soup.
The secret in making a good chicken tinola is to simmer the chicken for longer periods of time. This will let all the flavor of the chicken come out and it also makes the chicken tender. You can also use malunggay leaves instead of pepper leaves (or even both) to maximize the health benefits.
Try this Chicken Tinola Recipe and let me know what you think.
Chicken Tinola Recipe
- 1 whole chicken cut into serving pieces
- 36 ounces rice washing
- 1/2 pc small green papaya cut into wedges
- 1 tbsp garlic minced
- 1 medium sized onion chopped
- 1 thumb ginger cut into strips
- 2 tbsp fish sauce
- Hot pepper leaves
- Sauté the garlic, onion, and ginger
- Put-in the chicken and cook until color turns light brown
- Add the fish sauce and mix well
- Pour-in the rice washing and put to a boil. Simmer for 45 minutes.
- Add the green papaya wedges and simmer for 5 minutes
- Add the hot pepper leaves
- Add salt and pepper to taste
- Serve hot. Share and enjoy!