Pompano is a type of marine fish; it has tasty white meat. This fried pompano recipe is a simple and easy to follow recipe that anyone can do — especially those who fear splattering oil when frying. Before cooking any fish, make sure that it is cleaned. This means that the gills, innards, and scales are removed. It is also important to rub the fish with salt. One technique that I do to let the fish absorb the salt is to create incisions on both sides of the fish. This will let the granules penetrate the meat and absorb it.
I understand that there are people who are afraid to fry fish and other meat in general because of splattering oil. While it is normal for oil to splatter when frying, this can be avoided by not letting the water (or the liquid from the meat to be fried) from touching the hot oil directly. Dredging the fish in all-purpose flour before frying is the simple solution. The flour absorbs the liquid outside of the fish which lessens or eliminates the splattering action.
I like it when the fish is sort of crisp in the outside while soft in the inside. This can be achieved by frying in high heat. I enjoy eating Fried pompano with rice and a vegetable side dish.
Try this Fried Pompano recipe. Let me know what you think.
- 1 (2 lbs.) pompano fish, cleaned and innards and gills removed
- 1 tablespoon sea salt
- 1½ cups cooking oil
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 piece lemon, wedged
- Make diagonal incisions on both sides of the fish using a sharp knife. This will open the fish to absorb the seasonings.
- Rub the salt all over the fish and then sprinkle both sides with ground black pepper. Let it stay for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Heat the cooking oil in a pan.
- Spread the flour in a plate and then dredge both sides of the fish. This helps avoid the oil to splatter because the flour will absorb the liquid.
- When the oil becomes hot, fry one side of the fish in medium to high heat for about 8 to minutes or until the color turns golden brown and the texture becomes crisp.
- Flip the fish gently to cook the other side. Fry it for about 7 to 8 minutes.
- Remove the place from the pan while letting excess oil drip. Place it in a plate lined with paper towels so that the oil will be absorbed.
- Serve with lemon wedges along with your favorite vegetable dish as a side.
- Share and enjoy!