Arroz Valenciana is a dish similar to Paella. The Filipino version of this dish makes use of coconut milk, malagkit (glutinous or sweet rice), boiled eggs, and chorizo, which is what this recipe is all about.
Arroz Valenciana is served during holidays and special occasions. Since it is only a few days before Christmas, I am featuring this dish so that you can have more options for your family’s Noche Buena or Christmas parties. This is also a perfect dish to serve during New Year’s eve dinner.
Try this Arroz Valenciana Recipe. Let me know what you think.
Arroz Valenciana Recipe
- 1/2 lb. chicken thigh or breast, chopped
- 3 pieces chorizo de bilbao, sliced diagonally
- 1/2 cup malagkit (glutinous white rice)
- 1 cup Jasmine rice
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 medium red bell pepper, cut into strips
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup frozen green peas
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1 medium tomato, diced
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 3 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 3 boiled eggs
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- a pinch of Spanish saffron
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Combine the glutinous rice and jasmine rice. Wash with water twice and then drain. Set aside.
- Heat the olive oil in a paellera or wide pan.
- Saute the garlic, onion, and tomato until the onion and tomato becomes soft.
- Put-in the chopped chicken. Cook for 3 minutes.
- Add the chorizo de bilbao. Cook for 2 minutes.
- Add-in the salt, pepper, saffron, and paprika. Stir.
- Pour-in the chicken broth and coconut milk. Stir and let boil.
- Add-in the washed rice. Stir. Let boil.
- Add the tomato paste. Stir. Cover and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Put-in the raisins, and green peas. Cover and simmer for 8 minutes.
- Add-in the red bell pepper. Continue to simmer until the rice is fully cooked.
- Garnish with sliced boiled egg. Serve.
- Share and enjoy!
Number of servings (yield): 6
Watch the cooking video: