Arroz Valenciana

Arroz Valenciana is a dish similar to Paella. The Filipino version of this dish makes use of coconut milk, malagkit (glutinous or sweet rice), boiled eggs, and chorizo, which is what this recipe is all about.

Arroz Valenciana is served during holidays and special occasions. Since it is only a few days before Christmas, I am featuring this dish so that you can have more options for your family’s Noche Buena or ┬áChristmas parties. This is also a perfect dish to serve during New Year’s eve dinner.

Try this Arroz Valenciana Recipe. Let me know what you think.

Arroz Valenciana

Arroz Valenciana Recipe

• 1/2 lb. chicken thigh or breast, chopped
  • 3 pieces chorizo de bilbao, sliced diagonally
  • 1/2 cup malagkit (glutinous white rice)
  • 1 cup Jasmine rice
  • 2 tablespoons tomato paste
  • 1 medium red bell pepper, cut into strips
  • 1/2 cup raisins
  • 1/2 cup frozen green peas
  • 1 teaspoon paprika
  • 2 cups chicken broth
  • 1 cup coconut milk
  • 1 medium tomato, diced
  • 1 medium yellow onion, diced
  • 3 cloves of garlic, crushed
  • 3 boiled eggs
  • 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
  • a pinch of Spanish saffron
  • Salt and pepper to taste

1. Combine the glutinous rice and jasmine rice. Wash with water twice and then drain. Set aside.
  2. Heat the olive oil in a paellera or wide pan.
  3. Saute the garlic, onion, and tomato until the onion and tomato becomes soft.
  4. Put-in the chopped chicken. Cook for 3 minutes.
  5. Add the chorizo de bilbao. Cook for 2 minutes.
  6. Add-in the salt, pepper, saffron, and paprika. Stir.
  7. Pour-in the chicken broth and coconut milk. Stir and let boil.
  8. Add-in the washed rice. Stir.  Let boil.
  9. Add the tomato paste. Stir. Cover and simmer for 5 minutes.
  10. Put-in the raisins, and green peas. Cover and  simmer for 8 minutes.
  11. Add-in the red bell pepper. Continue to simmer until the rice is fully cooked.
  12. Garnish with sliced boiled egg. Serve.
  13. Share and enjoy!

Recommended for you

Comments

1. Jenny says:

Tried this recipe and become a hit! Will try again this Christmas ;)

• hi just cooked this dish today for my sis in law,all the guests loved it.thanks to panlasang pinoy!

2. Catherine says:

Hi! Love the videos. What exact brand of chorizo and paellera pan size do u use? Which Asian store in IL? I’m in IL, more central but I will drive if need be. Again, your videos are lifesavers for us who didn’t cook in the Philippines, but need to do it while abroad (if I want it, I need to make it)

3. jomar galindez says:

this website is a lifesaver. I have learned to cook a lot of Filipino recipes through your website and I want to thank you for it. The directions are very easy to follow.

4. Where do you get your chorizo bilbao here in the US? Martin purefoods Chorizo doesnt come close, so is Marka El Rey, i still want to get access to the real chorizo bilbao.

• There is an Asian store here about an hour from my place (Illinois). I would say go with your preferred brand, but I do agree with you that Chorizo de Bilbao here in the US is not as close as it is with the Chorizo in the Philippines. However, I still think that they are good enough though, instead of having nothing. :)

5. EloiB says:

I will surely try this, I’ve been searching for recipes which I can cook for my 9yr old diabetic daughter without compromising the taste and most of all easy to follow recipes. Thanks for sharing. God bless you and more power

6. Dalia says:

Wow! Its nice video huh, thanks a lot for sharing the recipe , I owe u kuya bec. Of you I learned to cook well and my husband really loves it!

7. Nadia says:

I loved the Orange chicken recipe. It came out perfect. Now I subscribed to your You Tube videos that looks so good. I will try this one today. Thanks for sharing. You should have your own show on the Food Network because alot of food network recipes arent as good and thorough as yours. God Bless!!

8. Hello Chef Vanjo,
    I have become a fan of Panlasang Pinoy website. I have successfully tried several of your recipes and would like to thank you for the easy to follow directions. I would like to try the Arroz Valenciana recipe. What paellera cookware are you using?

Mimi

9. Everyone looked forward to my mom’s cooking. When she died last year, my dad, who lives alone, has resorted to boiled meats and Chinese take-out, which are poor substitutes. With your videos, I am slowly learning Pinoy recipes for my Dad. Thank you for the exact measurements, clear photos and Youtube videos.

10. I will try this this coming new year! Yehey! And i definitely agree, ang gwapo ng boses and it reflects the face! ;) yummy chef! Hahaha!

11. hi! I’ll be trying this recipe for our media noche this new year.. i know it will be perfect for the occasion. :) i’ve already tried your pork caldereta recipe and it was delicious. More power and God bless!

12. Grace MyleneDizon says:

Thank you Sir, I’m always watching your cooking videos and ang galing mo talaga. I’m fond of cooking and baking and always following Panlasang Pinoy for long time. Ito ang dadalhin ko sa potluck namin sa New years eve. More Power!

13. Wheng says:

I’ve been a follower of Panlasang Pinoy for so long. And I think it’s time to say thank you for sharing your talents to us. Recipes are all good, very clear ang demonstration mo. Excellent talaga! I’ve learned how to cook because of Panlasang Pinoy!

Happy Holidays!!!

14. Tweet Singson says:

Thanks for the recipe. This dish is one of my mom’s specialty but this time I’ll surprise her! She cooks this dish only for special occasions and holidays :) ….You look good pala :)

• Tweet, its time to surprise your mom and let her know how a good cook you become. This blog will always be here to guide you and help you be a better cook.

15. Ross Meadows says:

very good recipe used to cook those back home but now im on UK some ingredient hard to find..
    my dad version is similar he use pork liver and royal true orange ;) soft drink for liquid ;)

cheers

i was your viewer for few years now…kept it up..!! thumbs up..

16. Thanks Anabelle, Happy New Year!

17. Hi Jane, thanks for the feedback. It must have been the oil. Try to measure the oil next time for better results.

18. Hi Jeraldin. Are you refering to arroz amarillo, which I used to make paella marinera?
    You may use it, but you will need to tweak the ingredients. I think that malagkit (sweet or sticky rice) is one ingredient that makes the Filipino Arroz
    Valenciana unique from other paella dishes. If you still decide to use the yellow rice, you need to omit the Jasmine rice too. Use 1 1/2 cups of yellow rice as a replacement for the Jasmine rice and Sticky rice. It will still taste good, but the texture of the rice will be different.

19. Hi Katty, thanks for your feedback. Filipino food is really good and non-Filipinos tend to like our dishes and enjoy them, eventually. I think that we need to promote Filipino recipes and dishes so that more people will be able to try and appreciate our food. What you did was a good thing. Thanks for promoting our cuisine. I hope that our readers here in PP will do the same.