Arroz Valenciana

Arroz Valenciana is a dish similar to Paella. The Filipino version of this dish makes use of coconut milk, malagkit (glutinous or sweet rice), boiled eggs, and chorizo, which is what this recipe is all about.

Arroz Valenciana is served during holidays and special occasions. Since it is only a few days before Christmas, I am featuring this dish so that you can have more options for your family’s Noche Buena or  Christmas parties. This is also a perfect dish to serve during New Year’s eve dinner.

Try this Arroz Valenciana Recipe. Let me know what you think.

Arroz Valenciana

Arroz Valenciana Recipe

• 1/2 lb. chicken thigh or breast, chopped
  • 3 pieces chorizo de bilbao, sliced diagonally
  • 1/2 cup malagkit (glutinous white rice)
  • 1 cup Jasmine rice
  • 2 tablespoons tomato paste
  • 1 medium red bell pepper, cut into strips
  • 1/2 cup raisins
  • 1/2 cup frozen green peas
  • 1 teaspoon paprika
  • 2 cups chicken broth
  • 1 cup coconut milk
  • 1 medium tomato, diced
  • 1 medium yellow onion, diced
  • 3 cloves of garlic, crushed
  • 3 boiled eggs
  • 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
  • a pinch of Spanish saffron
  • Salt and pepper to taste

1. Combine the glutinous rice and jasmine rice. Wash with water twice and then drain. Set aside.
  2. Heat the olive oil in a paellera or wide pan.
  3. Saute the garlic, onion, and tomato until the onion and tomato becomes soft.
  4. Put-in the chopped chicken. Cook for 3 minutes.
  5. Add the chorizo de bilbao. Cook for 2 minutes.
  6. Add-in the salt, pepper, saffron, and paprika. Stir.
  7. Pour-in the chicken broth and coconut milk. Stir and let boil.
  8. Add-in the washed rice. Stir.  Let boil.
  9. Add the tomato paste. Stir. Cover and simmer for 5 minutes.
  10. Put-in the raisins, and green peas. Cover and  simmer for 8 minutes.
  11. Add-in the red bell pepper. Continue to simmer until the rice is fully cooked.
  12. Garnish with sliced boiled egg. Serve.
  13. Share and enjoy!

Comments

1. Jenny says:

Tried this recipe and become a hit! Will try again this Christmas ;)

• hi just cooked this dish today for my sis in law,all the guests loved it.thanks to panlasang pinoy!

2. Catherine says:

Hi! Love the videos. What exact brand of chorizo and paellera pan size do u use? Which Asian store in IL? I’m in IL, more central but I will drive if need be. Again, your videos are lifesavers for us who didn’t cook in the Philippines, but need to do it while abroad (if I want it, I need to make it)

3. jomar galindez says:

this website is a lifesaver. I have learned to cook a lot of Filipino recipes through your website and I want to thank you for it. The directions are very easy to follow.

4. Where do you get your chorizo bilbao here in the US? Martin purefoods Chorizo doesnt come close, so is Marka El Rey, i still want to get access to the real chorizo bilbao.

• There is an Asian store here about an hour from my place (Illinois). I would say go with your preferred brand, but I do agree with you that Chorizo de Bilbao here in the US is not as close as it is with the Chorizo in the Philippines. However, I still think that they are good enough though, instead of having nothing. :)

5. Thanks for the recipe :) mom and i made it as soon as we saw this video. ang sarap po, thank you!

6. EloiB says:

I will surely try this, I’ve been searching for recipes which I can cook for my 9yr old diabetic daughter without compromising the taste and most of all easy to follow recipes. Thanks for sharing. God bless you and more power

7. Hi vanj im katty from hongkong…its my first time to cook a recipe from your recipe list … actualy I dont know how to cook and its my big problem.. my boss is a chineese…and I feel so flatered when my boss apreciate my cook so much…I was surprized ! Bcoz she likes philipine food…akala ko di nila magugustuhan…
    Well until now I keep on update to all your recipe..thanks panlasang pinoy ! You help me much…anyway you are so cute and im proud of you… keep it up! Godbless

• Hi Katty, thanks for your feedback. Filipino food is really good and non-Filipinos tend to like our dishes and enjoy them, eventually. I think that we need to promote Filipino recipes and dishes so that more people will be able to try and appreciate our food. What you did was a good thing. Thanks for promoting our cuisine. I hope that our readers here in PP will do the same.

8. Dalia says:

Wow! Its nice video huh, thanks a lot for sharing the recipe , I owe u kuya bec. Of you I learned to cook well and my husband really loves it!

9. Hi Kuya thanks you po sa recipe na ito, I tried it yesterday super po ang sarap at ang dali po ng mga ingredients. Nagostohan po ng aking hubby ang yong recipe he loves mostly filipino dish po at mga anak ko, thank u sa pg share at ito dagdag ng aking kaalaman, I haven’t try paella but soon i will try that too. More power at God bless po sa inyong website at to you.
    Fe

10. Nadia says:

I loved the Orange chicken recipe. It came out perfect. Now I subscribed to your You Tube videos that looks so good. I will try this one today. Thanks for sharing. You should have your own show on the Food Network because alot of food network recipes arent as good and thorough as yours. God Bless!!

11. Hello Chef Vanjo,
    I have become a fan of Panlasang Pinoy website. I have successfully tried several of your recipes and would like to thank you for the easy to follow directions. I would like to try the Arroz Valenciana recipe. What paellera cookware are you using?

Mimi

12. mark afuang says:

chef aus.. galing mo…. very clear ung explanation mu and processing on how to cooked the ingredients…you made it look simple..and it awesome!….its a crime without chef vanjo……thanks chef….

13. jeraldin tan says:

Kuya Vanjo, pwede ba dito gamitin yung packet yellow rice? instead na malagkit rice?

• Hi Jeraldin. Are you refering to arroz amarillo, which I used to make paella marinera?
      You may use it, but you will need to tweak the ingredients. I think that malagkit (sweet or sticky rice) is one ingredient that makes the Filipino Arroz
      Valenciana unique from other paella dishes. If you still decide to use the yellow rice, you need to omit the Jasmine rice too. Use 1 1/2 cups of yellow rice as a replacement for the Jasmine rice and Sticky rice. It will still taste good, but the texture of the rice will be different.

14. I tried this this new years eve, i think i got it 98% hindi ko sure if napadami ba yung gata or olive oil kasi mejo oily but overall it tastes very good! Even my mom na hindi kumakain nun kasi pinaghalo halo daw yung ingredients nasarapan! Thanks chef! ;)

15. yoh revilla says:

galing mo, noon ko pa hanap ito, kc sa bisaya ko lang ito natitikman, try ko gawin, napaka simple as it looks, sana magawa ko exactly. ur good looking , sir.

me folder na ako s email ko ng website mo at mga recipes mo

16. Blando says:

This one is for the win!!! Un nga lang Sir Vanjo, anu po pede substitute sa chorizo de bilbao? Di kasi pede sa pork wife ko due to her religion. Medyo bitin sa time but I want to surprise her this new year. Ayaw ko lang i-compromise sana ung mga ingridients… Thanks!!!

17. Everyone looked forward to my mom’s cooking. When she died last year, my dad, who lives alone, has resorted to boiled meats and Chinese take-out, which are poor substitutes. With your videos, I am slowly learning Pinoy recipes for my Dad. Thank you for the exact measurements, clear photos and Youtube videos.

18. anabelle says:

ang galling mo nmam pogie na masaqrap pa mag luto.sana bigyan mo ako ng mga favorite kung mag lutuin mgaling tlaga ang mga pinoy magluto.salmat ,God bless………happy new year!!!!!!!!!!!!

19. eddie says:

kuya ano b pwd i substitute s saffron?

20. I will try this this coming new year! Yehey! And i definitely agree, ang gwapo ng boses and it reflects the face! ;) yummy chef! Hahaha!

21. nilo macariola says:

Good morning po., gusto ko rin pong matutong magluto para magkaroon po ako ng maliit n negosyo
    sana po matulungan nyo po ako.. salamat po…

22. hi! I’ll be trying this recipe for our media noche this new year.. i know it will be perfect for the occasion. :) i’ve already tried your pork caldereta recipe and it was delicious. More power and God bless!

23. Grace MyleneDizon says:

Thank you Sir, I’m always watching your cooking videos and ang galing mo talaga. I’m fond of cooking and baking and always following Panlasang Pinoy for long time. Ito ang dadalhin ko sa potluck namin sa New years eve. More Power!

24. Sweet says:

Wow! I really like your website.I´ve always visited and one of avid followers since then..Dami ko na ring natry sa mga recipes ninyu and it turns out really perfect..My family loves it.I know a lot from u.Thank you so much!Way here from Europe Happy Holidays!

25. Wheng says:

I’ve been a follower of Panlasang Pinoy for so long. And I think it’s time to say thank you for sharing your talents to us. Recipes are all good, very clear ang demonstration mo. Excellent talaga! I’ve learned how to cook because of Panlasang Pinoy!

Happy Holidays!!!

26. Tweet Singson says:

Thanks for the recipe. This dish is one of my mom’s specialty but this time I’ll surprise her! She cooks this dish only for special occasions and holidays :) ….You look good pala :)

• Tweet, its time to surprise your mom and let her know how a good cook you become. This blog will always be here to guide you and help you be a better cook.

27. Ross Meadows says:

very good recipe used to cook those back home but now im on UK some ingredient hard to find..
    my dad version is similar he use pork liver and royal true orange ;) soft drink for liquid ;)

cheers

i was your viewer for few years now…kept it up..!! thumbs up..

28. Sheryl says:

Sa wakas nakita ko rin ang recipe na ito….tagal ko na hinahanap…..maraming salamat po…..galing niyo po talaga….very helpful po ung site nyo sa mga katulad ko pong nag-aaral kung paano magluto……
    More power po sayo at sa family mo.
    God bless…..

29. Arlenejoy says:

Super galing m nman kuya sa pagluluto..idol kita sa cusina ko hihi try ko ito arroz valenciana this holiday season…more power po

30. cristina says:

sob rang helpful talaga tong Panlasang Pinoy. Thank you ha..more power!

31. Hi Banjo, gwapo ka pala, i like your shirt! galing ng mga recipe mo, i luv it. itatry ko ito this christmas. for sure magugustuhan ng relatives ko ito. nuon ko pa gustong magluto nito, now lng ako nakakita ng complete recipe at my video pa. Thanks for the recipes you are sharing to us. Keep up the good work, God Bless regards to your family. Merry Christmas!

32. Dko ngkamali boses pa lng cute na pano pa kya s mukha..hehe.try ko ito s holidays..thanks po!!

33. Marie S. says:

Kuya, super thank you sa recipe. Iluluto ko ito sa pasko. Sa wakas nakita rin kita sa video :)

• Myrna says:

Kuya ang galing mo talaga very clear talaga ang pagdemostrate mo, lulutuin ko ito sa pasko at new year. hindi ka lang magaling kundi good looking ka rin pala kuya. maraming, maraming salamat palagi kong binubuklat ang mga recipe mo, God bless you and your family.