Nilagang Baboy or Pork Nilaga is translated as boiled pork in Filipino. This is a soup dish commonly served for lunch or dinner on regular days. Nilagang Baboy is eaten with steamed white rice and is best served with patis (fish sauce) and siling labuyo (birds eye chili).
If you have been cooking Filipino Recipes for a while, chances are that you know how to prepare Pork Nilaga. This is one of the easiest Filipino soup dishes that anyone can prepare. Although everything in the recipe seems so easy to do, you have to pay special attention to the texture of the pork in order for your Nilaga to be successful. Make sure to give enough time for the pork to become tender. This means that you will need to simmer it for a quarter of an hour to a little more than an hour.
You will notice that I started by sauteeing the onion, peppercorn, and pork. I am doing this because I wanted to extract the flavor from the said ingredients. If you prefer your Nilagang Baboy to be less oily, all you have to do is start by letting the broth (beef or pork) boil. You will then add the onion, peppercorn, and pork and boil them until the pork becomes tender. You can also omit the salt. Instead, add the fish sauce directly towards the end.
How do you cook your Nilagang Baboy? Try this Nilagang Baboy Recipe. Let me know what you think.
Nilagang Baboy Recipe
- 2 lbs. pork (belly or shoulder), cubed
- 1 medium yellow onion
- 1 medium cabbage, quartered
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 4 pieces ripe saba banana, sliced in half crosswise
- 6 to 8 cups beef or pork broth
- 1 teaspoon whole peppercorn
- Salt to taste
- 3 tablespoons cooking oil
- Heat the cooking oil in a deep cooking pot.
- Once the oil becomes hot, saute the onion.
- Add the whole pepper corn. Continue to cook for 20 seconds.
- Put-in the pork. Cook until the color turns light brown (about 3 to 5 minutes).
- Pour-in the beef or pork broth. Bring to a boil. Simmer for 45 to 60 minutes or until the pork becomes tender.
- Add the saba banana and potatoes. Stir and cook for 12 minutes.
- Put-in the cabbage. Add salt to taste. Stir. Cover and continue to cook for 3 minutes.
- Transfer to a serving bowl. Serve with a spicy fish sauce dipping sauce.
- Share and enjoy!
Number of servings (yield): 4